Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY TouchSmart m6-k022dx Sleekbook (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My other HP Pavilion laptop had been suffering rather lousy network lag and I discovered it was due to 2.4GHz. On that Pavilion laptop, I was able to replace the network card with 5GHz capability. Things improved dramatically. My secondary laptop is an older HP Envy m6-k022dx and the Ralink RT3290 WiFi card is just awful for my current operating environment. I am presently using an external USB connected Netgear A6200 WiFi card that works great and supports 5GHz on my Envy m6, but it would be so much more convenient to have a 5GHz capable internal WiFi card installed, for portability reasons.

I'd like to upgrade it to a 5GHz WiFi card, but I know on some of these older HP laptops there were whitelists enforced that extremely narrowed the list of WiFi card choices. Is there any way to find out if there's a 5GHz WiFi card available that would be compatible with my Envy m6 laptop?

"Trying to remain positive and optimistic in an ever growing negative and cynical world. Peace."
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, there is one Wi-Fi adapter listed in chapter 3 of your notebook's service manual that would work in notebooks with the AMD processors:

c03935332.pdf (hp.com)

Broadcom 4352 + Bluetooth combo w/ 2 antennas (802.11 a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0)   HP part # 724935-005

In order for the card to work correctly, before you purchase one, you will need to confirm that your notebook has two Wi-Fi antenna wires connected to the Ralink card in there now.

See chapter 4 of the service manual for the Wi-Fi card removal and replacement procedures.

You may be able to find the above card on eBay.  Search by the HP part number.

If you cannot find that part number, this alternative one should also work.

Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 combo HP part # 724935-001

724935-001: Search Result | eBay

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, there is one Wi-Fi adapter listed in chapter 3 of your notebook's service manual that would work in notebooks with the AMD processors:

c03935332.pdf (hp.com)

Broadcom 4352 + Bluetooth combo w/ 2 antennas (802.11 a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0)   HP part # 724935-005

In order for the card to work correctly, before you purchase one, you will need to confirm that your notebook has two Wi-Fi antenna wires connected to the Ralink card in there now.

See chapter 4 of the service manual for the Wi-Fi card removal and replacement procedures.

You may be able to find the above card on eBay.  Search by the HP part number.

If you cannot find that part number, this alternative one should also work.

Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 combo HP part # 724935-001

724935-001: Search Result | eBay

HP Recommended

Hi Paul!

I recognized you right away -- you've been very helpful with me in the past and it's always a good feeling to see you appear. Level 21 now--you've made some serious accomplishments. 😎

Thanks for checking up on this for me. I have the maintenance guide (dated Feb 2013), what appears to be a copy for just the Sleekbook edition, and it didn't list that Broadcom 4352 WiFi adapter. In fact, all of the WiFi card options listed in that guide show just b/g/n options, no a/b/g/n.

What has me curious is this... In that m6 Sleekbook only  maintenance guide, there is a Broadcom 4313GN 802.11b/g/n 1×1 WiFi adapter shown, which is listed as compatible with both AMD and Intel chipsets. Now that's not what I need... as it has no dual band support to include 5GHz. In your link to the maintenance doc (Sept 2013), it's for both Sleekbook and Ultrabook m6 models. And I do see the Broadcom 4352 WiFi adapter... but there's no compatibility checkmark for the AMD processor (which is what I have). I would think if the Broadcom 4313GN is compatible, why would the 4352 not be?

I wonder, if there's a hardware limitation in my m6-k022dx that makes the Broadcom 4352WiFi adapter incompatible... or if it's just an oversight of the manual? 

More specific ref to my laptop: HP Envy TS m6 Sleekbook, E0L06UA#ABA, AMD A10-5745M APU.

"Trying to remain positive and optimistic in an ever growing negative and cynical world. Peace."
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The BCM4352 will work in both Intel and AMD notebooks, where the equivalent Intel 7260 AC may only work in Intel notebooks or not work properly in AMD notebooks (no Bluetooth for example).

You just have to make sure your notebook has the required two antenna wires.

Before installing a different model wifi adapter, you should first go to the device manager, uninstall both the Ralink wifi and Bluetooth adapters, and check the uninstall driver box.

Then shut down, unplug the PC and install the Broadcom card.

HP Recommended

Excellent!

Great to see that. I will now get on the hunt for a BCM 4352, maybe I'll get lucky with a good deal on a used but fine functional one. I'll be sure to post back once I've gotten one and installed it to let you know the results.

Cheers, Paul!

Kind regards,
~Gary

HP Recommended

Anytime, Gary.

Glad to have been of assistance.

There are several used but tested and working models with the one having the second part number I gave you on eBay.

I could only find one with the part number listed in the manual.

Regarding the HP Elitebooks...I have the 6930p and it is very nice.

It does have the metal top and it definitely could get dented if not handled carefully.

We used to have many of those at work and I saw that some were dented.

Cheers,

Paul

HP Recommended

Thanks, Paul. Yes I did check the link -- seems that the going rate is about $25 for either refurbished or open box. Closed auctions show some used ones as cheap as $15. I'm not in a big hurry right now, so will give it a little time to see if some more deals come up... and if not, then I'll just go for the $25 ones. Thanks again!

Cheers,
~Gary

P.S.  While I have you -- I've been looking at getting another laptop to replace my primary (an HP 15-ab Pavilion), and I'm looking at HP models from the 2018/2019 era. The Elitebook models look good (like a G7 or G8), although I'm a little hesitant about those soft metal casing that tend to get dented and bent. Do you have any advice on what model(s) to consider in that range? At least USB-C support, 10th gen i5 or i7, and NVMe support. Thanks!

-- JUST spotted your reply; thanks, I'd moved the text down a bit in case it got missed. HP 6930p sounds promising, will check it out, thanks!

HP Recommended

Hey Paul,

I put another listing of the WiFi adapter on my watch list and the seller offered me a discount. With shipping and taxes, got it just under $20, brand new. I should have it by Monday. I'm going to do a speed test with the existing card and then another with the new one installed. Will be interesting to see the difference.

My old 15-ab Pavilion is "long in the tooth," where the palmrest bezel is scratched up and the bottom casing cracked in a few places. The cooling fan died while I was using it. No warning, but I noticed the bottom of the case was getting hot. Then I realized the fan wasn't blowing. I shut it down, then restarted... BIOS gave me a warning straight off, telling me the cooling fan is showing a possible malfunction and warned me that if continuing some damage may result. I ordered a new fan, but while I was at it, bought a replacement bottom case and found a cosmetically distressed palmrest keyboard with backlit key option for a cheap price. All told, parts were $70 shipped. Did the install in about 2.5 hours. Applied a "Windows 10" shortcut sticker over the worn spot... and now it's like I've got a new laptop. 😁😎 That's one thing I really like about HP laptops. I've taken them apart and replaced components fairly easily and never had an issue. System starts up like a breeze. I just wish keyboards were easily replaced as keys can get worn... but a lot of the new designs have the keyboard riveted into place. The whole bezel needs to be swapped out. 

HP Recommended

That's great you have the patience and skills to make those complex repairs.

If that model 15-ab notebook you have only has a single band Wi-Fi adapter, and you let me know the full model number, I can probably give you a suitable dual band AC Wi-Fi card replacement for that one too.

HP Recommended

Yeah, the trick I've learned is to keep a large sheet of white paper nearby and draw a basic shape of the laptop, then place the screws in the various locations, annotated as needed. Helps a boat load on replacing screws. There's also the complication of knowing the order of parts (some are layered) and where wires go. This technique has saved me a lot of frustration!

Btw, my 15-ab Pavilion WiFi adapter was replaced about 2 years ago, and I think you helped me on that one. I've got a Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe installed. Works very well!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.