Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
G7 2312sf
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi , 

I have a HP G7 2312 SF and i would like to change my wifi card ralink 5390 ( only 2.4 GHz) to upgrade for wifi card dual band 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz

Its it possible ? Or not? HP  Whitelist?

Im tried to change with an AR5B22 Mode card
Transmission rate: 300Mpbs / 867 Mpbs (ac)
Interface: PCI-E
Dual band: 2.4G / 5Ghz
the card is recognized but unable to connect and the wifi button remains orange
I therefore returned to the supplier
can you tell me which dual band 2.4 and 5 Ghz wifi card can be operational on my hp g7 2312sf?
thank you very much in advance for your reply and help
7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

I have read reports that other forum members have installed dual band wifi cards in some g6 and g7-23xx notebooks.

But the report you copied below indicates the Atheros card didn't work.

See if you can install this model wifi card. 

It is only Dual band wireless N (300 MBPS max), but it should not cost much.

Broadcom BCM943228HMB 802.11abgn 2×2 Wi-Fi Adapter, Broadcom Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter   HP Part # 730668-001.

You should be able to find this model card on eBay.  Search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card.

730668-001 en vente - | eBay

Otherwise you can buy a dual band USB wifi adapter that also has Bluetooth.

HAL Adaptateur USB Bluetooth WiFi pour PC, Dongle sans Fil 600 Mbps Dual Band 2.4G / 5.8G USB Adapta...

HP Recommended

hi,   

thank you very much for your answer my original wifi card on my hp pavilion g7-2312sf is a dual band ralink 5390 in 2.4 ghz wifi b, g, n 300 mbts it works fine  but I would have wanted to know if someone has already succeeded in replacing this card by a dual band 5 ghz 867 mbts? to gain speed or this is not possible? because of the hp whitelist?

thank you in advance for your help to all

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I can't find any posts that indicate an AC wifi card works, but this one for a g6-2300 model (15.6" display model of yours), showed the card I recommended for you worked fine.

The card is not listed as supported in the service manual.

Solved: Wireless card - HP Support Community - 7257714

That might mean that you can use this Broadcom dual band AC wifi card in your model...

Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 combo   HP part # 724935-001.

724935-001 en vente - | eBay

HP Recommended

Hi, Paul_Tikkanen,  thank you very much for your reply and your help i will order wifi card HP Broadcom BCM94352HMB 4352 WiFi+ BT 4.0 and will keep you informed if it works on my hp G 7 2312 SF 

Best regard 

HP Recommended

Anytime. 

Glad to have been of assistance. 

Looking forward to reading about the results of your notebook's WiFi card upgrade project. 

HP Recommended

Hi Paul_Tikkanen

I contacted the seller about the wifi card before will  sell it 

He Saïd :

Dear friend,

Thank you for your contacting.

hp laptop is bios locked cannot use other wireless card,we haven't tested it, so i don't make sure it compatibility!

Because the hp laptop has to specify the part number (SPS:)

Have you a Idea where i Can fond this SPS number? 

Best regards 

HP Recommended

Hi:

The card is not listed as supported in the service manual.

HP does not release any info on what notebook's have whitelists or not.

As you could see from that discussion I posted, the g6-2300 did not have a BIOS whitelist because the Broadcom dual band N wifi card worked and that is also not listed in the service manual as a supported card.

It's a gamble that the card will work, not a sure bet.

The SPS number is 724935-001.

You can see it on the label of this eBay listing...

Genuine HP Envy 15-J 15-J140NA Ordinateur Portable WLAN sans fil WIFI BOARD carte 724935-001 | eBay

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.