Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 12 (339 Views)

HP Gaming laptop wifi/bluetooth issue

Product Name: HP Pavilion Gaming Notebook
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I recently received (via an insurance claim) a HP gaming laptop. (Product number:T9P68EA#ABU) but am having the following issue:

I can’t connect to my 5ghz wifi signal because the network adapter in my laptop is a b/g/n and so can only see 2.4ghz. (I think this is correct but more than happy to be told otherwise). (My work laptop which is generally a much lower spec machine can see the 5ghz wifi ssid with no problem).

My internet speed (BT infinity) is fine - 60mbps on wireless a room away from the hub. The problem is that when I pair my laptop with my soundbar/woofa over bluetooth it slowly (over about 2-3 mins) reduces and ultimately kills the wifi signal.

I'm struggling to find much on the web around upgrading the laptop to dual band capability so can anyone help with:

1. a) Upgrading the laptop to dual band capability
  2. b) A fix for the Bluetooth killing wifi issue

It seems crazy that a laptop this expensive and designed for gaming would a) not be upgradable for dual band wifi or b) not be able to cope with both bluetooth and wifi..?

Please keep in mind I'm not a taking computers apart type :-)

Many thanks in advance for any help.

CH

0 Kudos
Top Student
Message 2 of 12 (298 Views)

Re: HP Gaming laptop wifi/bluetooth issue

Anyone...?

I can't be the first person to have this laptop and not be able to use wifi and blutooth at the same time surely...?

Help!

C

HP Support Agent
Message 3 of 12 (278 Views)

Hi @kirkstoneit,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! 

I came across your post about the HP Pavilion 15-ak113na Notebook and issues with the Bluetooth not working. Your system is not compatible with a 5GHz Wlan adapter. 
Before the BT infinity did you have issues with the Laptop and the sound bar?

Please let me know how this goes.

You can say thanks for trying to help by clicking the Thumbs Up below.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.

I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
Message 4 of 12 (275 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for responding.

I bought the soundbar before I had BT Infinity - this is the first bluetooth device I've ever paired with the the notebook.

I've updated the drivers now and can listen to music via the bluetooth soundbar - the music quality has improved but the bluetooth is still reducing my wifi speed from 60mbs to around 8mbps.

Any ideas?

Thanks

CH

HP Support Agent
Message 5 of 12 (272 Views)

Hi @kirkstoneit,

This would be better answered by BT infinity. As it is the service that is slow.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
Message 6 of 12 (266 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I don't think so. I spoke to soon - and am now back to the same situation.

Bluetooth off - wifi consistently 50-60mbps.

Bluetooth speakers on - music is stuttering and wifi has slowed so much that I couldn't even browse to this page to reply - I had to disable it and refresh the page.

I don't see how that can be a BT Infinity fault..

Any other ideas?

Thanks

CH

HP Support Agent
Message 7 of 12 (264 Views)

Hi @kirkstoneit,

I did not infer that is was anyone is at fault. I just thought that maybe there could provide some insight and assistance.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
Message 8 of 12 (261 Views)

I understand - I didn't mean to suggest that you inferred that it is anyones fault.

I'm just commenting that it is impossible that this is a BT issue. I only have the problem when I enable blutooth on the HP laptop in question.

I think its something to do with channels and network adapters but my investigations haven't been fruitful. Hence the ask to this forum.

01 speedtest bluetooth off.PNG

Top Student
Message 9 of 12 (260 Views)

02 bluetooth on.PNG

Top Student
Message 10 of 12 (259 Views)

03 speedtest bluetooth on.PNG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation