Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 10 (24,642 Views)

HP Pavilion DV6 No Internet Access

I've bought a HP Pavilion DV6 6B58SA - Product number A3C36EA#ABU - (actually I'm on my second experiencing the same problems as the first) on 28th December 2011.

Straight out of the box with both I've had connection problems. When just working from the battery it will keep going saying 'no internet access' even though it is still connected to the router. (see image below).

No Internet Access.JPG

The first time round I searched on a board and read about downloading an updated driver, which I did and it seemed to fix the problem for a couple of days. Then it wouldn't recognise that the wi-fi was enabled, then it wouldn't install windows updates. I tried system restores but they did nothing so it went back to the shop and I got a replacement.

This time (I've had it about 2 hours now) it is having the same issues with the ' no internet access' even though it is connected to the router.

I've read that it might be to do with the power settings so changed them to maximum performance as advised by HP but this still doesn't seem to work, it's still dropped the internet twice in half an hour.

As soon as you plug in the mains the internet connects again. I this a coincidence? I bought a laptop so that it's portable, so I don't have to use the mains wherever I use it!

I don't really want to take it back and get a different make/model, I like this one - when it works.

It seems strange to me that straight out of the box you need to spend hours changing settings just to get the internet to work.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Alexis

0 Kudos
Honor Student
Message 2 of 10 (24,600 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion DV6 No Internet Access

I'm having the same problem with my new HP Pavilion dv6. Received the computer as a christmas gift a week ago but it doesn't hold the wireless internet connection very long- esp. when on battery. Does OK usually when plugged in. We have tried reinstalling drivers. Other computers are fine on the wireless network - this one is the only one dropping the connection. Thanks.

Honor Student
Message 3 of 10 (24,584 Views)

I recently upgraded an old Compaq to the DV6-6135tx.  After a week I was ready to return it due to constant drop-outs on internet.  (Connected to wireless network/ router but not internet).

I received  welcome email from HP!  I followed the trail through the help area in HP Total Care and came across this advice on  "Home Network Troubleshooting": 

http://www8.hp.com/au/en/support-topics/network-internet-support/slow-dropped-network-connection.htm...

I manually set up a new connection (while the current one was working and internet working, coincidentally, so I was able access the router security and encryptyion settings and enter the right ones).

This seems to have worked!!!!  Early days, but connection is quicker and stable.

Fingers crossed.  If this solution works kudos to HP for the info.

Honor Student
Message 4 of 10 (24,565 Views)

I think I tried everything here, but thanks anyway. I took my computer to work today to test on the wireless there- it ran just great - very fast internet, no internet drops in the 3 1/2 hours I tested it (on battery). I borrowed another router from work and plugged it into my current home router - again no problems. Internet service is plenty fast now. Apparently this computer and my router aren't fully compatible? I think I'll just purchase an additional router so I have two APs with different IP addresses. The IT consultant at work said this problem did appear to be a power-saving issue but I was unable to resolve it by changing settings. If anyone knows how to fix this by changing settings, please let me know.

Thanks.

Top Student
Message 5 of 10 (24,555 Views)

Here's where I'm at currently:

Phoned HP who wouldn't give me any assistance until they received the proof of purchase to activate the warranty - they did say though to call my internet service provider though.

Tried adding the network manually - didn't seem to do anything and 10 minutes later was dropping the signal again.

Called Virgin - my internet service provider. They said that it's definitely nothing to do with the router otherwise the other devices - the old laptop, phones, etc, would be experiencing the same problem. Was told that it was most likely the driver.

Through Device Manager I checked the Network Adapter drivers for updates. It said it was up to date.

Goggled Intel Centrino Wireless N 1030 driver and arrived at this page.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

The tool on that page scanned for updates and returned a result of a newer driver to download, so I did.

I've installed a bunch of windows updates that for some reason hadn't installed themselves and currently, I say cautiously, everything seems to be OK and dare I say it, quite quick now.

I'll be closely monitoring it over the next few days and if it drops once I'll be slightly (very) annoyed.

I still can't really believe that I've had to spend about 10 hours (between the 2 computers) trying to sort out a brand new laptop, it's not acceptable HP.

I'll post again in a few days with how I've got on.

Alexis

Top Student
Message 6 of 10 (24,506 Views)

A few days on after updating the driver and the internet is still working, it hasn't dropped once.

My battery settings are still on high performance so it does get through the battery quite quickly (though it's not bad) but the main thing is that the internet works and it's actually been very quick.

If you're having problems, update your driver, it works.

Honor Student
Message 7 of 10 (24,419 Views)

Yes, I tried your solution and it worked for me too.  Thanks for posting!

Top Student
Message 8 of 10 (20,491 Views)

I'm having the same issue, with the signal and statement no internet access. My HP laptop has worked fine and all of a sudden it stopped today. Can anyone help? The other computer I have connects to the internet fine, so it has to be the HP that is the issue.
Honor Student
Message 9 of 10 (20,461 Views)

I tried the OS reset and driver updates suggested by customer service to no avail (see post above). Other computers in the house worked fine with the router we (family network) had, and my new laptop worked fine everywhere else...just not with the router we had. I tested my new computer at work, at Starbucks, etc. to make sure.

Anyway, we bought a new router - a basic linksys Wireless g, 2.4 GH and connected it to the existing wireless router. (Suggested by my kind IT consultant at work).  That fixed the problem immediately - with not a single drop in 8 months and no other changes to settings. The only two problems are the extra piece of equipment next to the desk and I can't use the one wireless printer that is linked to the other router. I don't print enough to bother changing the situation - it takes 15 seconds to walk over to the printer and wire in on the rare occasion I do print. Possibly we could get rid of the old router and use just the new one -but  none of us are inconvenienced enough to bother finding out! 

If either resetting factory settings and/or updating drivers doesn't work, and you are experiencing the same symptoms I describe, try borrowing a router from someone to test before you buy. Good luck!

Student
Message 10 of 10 (6,227 Views)

My HP Pavilion laptop will not connect to the wifi and keeps dropping even when hard wired to the modem. Product number is 00179-60748-08139-AAOEM. Flight mode key remains lit whether it's on or off and the wifi icon has either a red cross or a yellow triangle with an ! in it. There is no choice of wifi server showing. Will be changing the computer this weekend if I don't find a solution by then.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation