cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

HP Pavilion-Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11 b/g/n disappears, losing wifi connection

HP Recommended
Pavilion 17 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi,

I've had a long time struggle with my wi-fi connectivity, and after much frustration with other solutions not working, decided to post here.

I purchased my HP Pavilion mid-2014 with Windows 8.1 installed, and for the next 6-8 months it worked pefectly. At the end of that time (Jan-Feb 2015), I started losing wi-fi connection randomly, and often at inconvenient times. I'd have full bars, and it would say "Limited." Putting the computer to sleep and waking it up normally fixed the issue. However, soon after, it would completely stop, and say, "No Networks found." This could also be fixed by sleeping and waking the computer.

Annoying as it was, it got worse pretty quickly. The computer entirely stopped recognizing the wifi driver, and gave a message saying "No connections available." I checked the driver status in Device Manager, and it wasn't even listed. 

Normally, it had two drivers:

Realtek PCle FE Family Controller

Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter.

The second one was gone from the list. A computer restart brought it back. Sometimes just waiting, or sleeping/waking up did as well.

Not knowing what to do, and not realizing my computer was still under warrenty, I just bought a USB wifi adapter that fixed the problem "good enough."

A few days ago, the USP adapter broke, and I'm back to where I started, and unfortunately, my warrenty expired some months ago.

Extra information:

When plugged into an ethernet cable, it works fine.

Moving it around doesn't seem to effect connectivity. I can walk around with it, and it works, or I can just be sitting, and it stops.

There doesn't ever seem to be any speed issue- when it works, I get 15-25 mbps, rarely anything else.

Distance from the router has no effect- It disconnects when I'm on the other side of the house, or sitting right next to it.

It can't be the router, as this problem has occured in other houses/locations.

3 other computers, a tablet, and several phones frequently use the wifi at the same time, without any issues.

Things I've tried:

Disconnectin and reconnecting to wifi.

Shutting off and turning on router.

5-8 different versions/updates/reinstalls of the driver, from HP and Microsoft support links.

Uninstalling the driver, combined with the above.

In the driver properties, under the Advanced tab, changing the 802.11d value from Disabled to Enabled.

In the driver properties, under the Advanced tab, changing the Wireless mode from Auto to IEEE 802.11b.

In the driver properties, under the Advanced tab, changing the Wi-Fi config from Performance to Wi-fi.

In the driver properties, under the Power Management tab, unchecking the "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power"

(The above I have experimented with individually, changing them back each time, or combing them. They never work for more than a few hours)

Updating the driver, using Search automatically for updates.

Updating the driver, using Let Me Pick, and trying each of them.

Computer System Refresh (I've tried this twice)

Updating to Windows 10

Rolling back to Windows 8.1

HP Windows 8 wifi Troubleshooter, I went through all options except the System restore. I'm unable to properly back up the amount of files I have on my computer, and didn't want to risk losses. I did however use System refresh.

System information:

Windows 8.1 64-bit

Total memory: 6.00 GB
Processor name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4030U CPU @ 1.90GHz

Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11 b/g/n hardware IDS:

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8179&SUBSYS_197D103C&REV_01
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8179&SUBSYS_197D103C
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8179&CC_028000
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8179&CC_0280

PC Product number: G6Q77UA#ABA

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
16,541 17,373 957 2,204
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Bake8,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I came across your post about the Notebook, and wanted to assist you! I have looked into your issue about your HP Pavilion 17 Notebook and issues with Limited or No connectivity. I am seeing that if you change the power plan options to balanced option in the Notebook will help. Here is a link that will help. Go into your power options. Select Balanced and click Change plan settings. Click Change advanced power settings. Click Choose what the power button does. Figure : 13 Choose what the power buttons do.Uncheck -Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power under Power Management in the Wireless Adapter's.

If this continues I would change the Channel on the router. Routers are capable of communicating to your Notebook on several different channels. If your neighbours Wi-Fi is  on the same channel, your network speeds might have issues.

Some say this download will help fix this problem Microsoft Fix it. 

Here is a link to help as well.

Have you taken a look at the physical WLan card that is installed on the Notebook?

Here is a link to your service manual page 52 shows you how to check this.

Please let me know how this goes.

You can say thanks for trying to help by clicking the Thumbs Up below! :generic:

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As mentioned in my first post, I've already set the power options to not turn off the device to save power. Power plan has remained at HP Recommended (balanced) since the purchase of this computer.

It's not a problem related to the router at all. Several computers (Windows 7, 8.1, 10, Ubuntu) a tablet, and 3-4 phones frequently use it without anywhere near similar problems.

None of those devices have the same problem as the one I'm trying to fix, and none of them (including the one I'm trying to fix) experience any slowness. When this computer works, it works great, when it doesn't, there is 0 internet access.

I tried the Microsoft Fix It, it said it had fixed some issues, and within 10 minutes I had lost wifi again.

Regarding the Microsoft help page, the only one that I haven't tried yet is the compatibility one, because the link provided links to the home page, and the search term required does not bring me to the compatibility center. However, I would really hope that this isn't a compatibility issue, considering I bought this computer with Windows 8.1, and have not modified the hardware at all.

I'll try the last suggestion today or tomorrow.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Alright. I was unable to use that guide for disassembling my PC, as there was no service door on the back. I used a different guide from these forums.

Unfortunately several key screws were sealed with blue Loctite, and I was physically unable to remove them without damaging them completely. I am unable to try this solution.

Today I backed up my computer and performed a hard reset, which has improved the connectivity a bit... but it still cuts out every once in a while (30 mins to a few hours).

Is there any other solution that might work?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
16,541 17,373 957 2,204
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @Bake8,

You can contact us.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem and have tried everything listed in this thread.  Please help HP.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi FF4

I wasn't able to "fix" my problem, considering my warrenty was over. What I ended up doing was buying a Netgear A6100 wifi adapter, it was only about $30. It works just as well as the build in network card, and it's pretty small too. Might be much less of a hassle to do so yourself.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you Bake8

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation