Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360 Laptop - 14-dw0520sa
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi there im having probs with my HP Pavilion x360 Laptop - 14-dw0520sa the wifi card is intermittently not working(Ive done all the usual by removing it from the device manager and deleting the driver but only way to get it to come back on is to remove the card physicaly) and I want to replace it with a like for like or something better. I know that at the moment the wifi card is a Intel wireless AC9461 but what im not sure of is what slot this card is. Is it M.2 or another slot? if someone could tell me what slot it occupies so i can order an equivalent or better wifi card i would be most grateful and would appreciate any feedback if a better wifi card could be recommended.

Many thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

It could be a hardware problem with the card.

Other forum members have reported issues with it as well.

If you want to try the RTL8821CE, I have that model installed in two HP 255 G7 notebooks I have and knock on wood, I have not had one issue with either notebook and that card.

You can buy them on eBay UK pretty cheap, so it might be worth a giving that model card a shot.

l17365-005 | eBay

If you do, before you replace the Intel card, uninstall the adapter and driver in the device manager, and do the same for the Intel bluetooth driver and Intel bluetooth software in the Windows control panel>programs.

Then you can shut down the PC and install the Realtek card.

Here are the links to the latest Wifi and Bluetooth drivers for that model card.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp135501-136000/sp135885.exe 

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp135501-136000/sp135683.exe 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

That model card is M.2, but since there is only one antenna wire, you can only install one that also works with one antenna wire.

The Intel 9461AC was the better of the 2 AC wifi cards offered.

If you want to try a different card, this would be the alternative.

Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter (MU-MIMO supported) HP part # L17365-005.

The card has a maximum throughput of 433 MBPS on the 5.0 GHz wifi band with an AC router and an excellent signal.

You can find this model on eBay, or Ali Express. 

I see some Intel 3165 cards listed on the eBay listings, so don't buy those.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=L17365-005&_sacat=0&_sop=15

RTL8821CE - Buy RTL8821CE with free shipping on AliExpress

On the Ali Express listings, make sure the card has the HP Part # of 915620-001.

HP charges a ridiculous amount for that card.

HP Parts Store - HP Computer Parts - HP Printer Parts - Compaq Parts

Did you try updating the Intel Wi-Fi driver to the latest version?

Windows® 10 and Windows 11* Wi-Fi Drivers for Intel® Wireless Adapters

HP Recommended

yes all the drivers are up to date i think the error i was getting was code 10 on the device manager...i really should have taken a screen shot of it but totally forgot in my haste.  What seems to be happening is every so often windows wont recognises the card....removing and deleting driver though device managers doesn't work as does a restart and eventually i have to remove the card manually and reinsert for it to work or wait for it to work again so I'm fairly certain its a prob with the wifi card...but if you think I'm going down the wrong rabbit hole please feel free to send as much advice as possible.  

Many thanks for all your help 🙂

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

It could be a hardware problem with the card.

Other forum members have reported issues with it as well.

If you want to try the RTL8821CE, I have that model installed in two HP 255 G7 notebooks I have and knock on wood, I have not had one issue with either notebook and that card.

You can buy them on eBay UK pretty cheap, so it might be worth a giving that model card a shot.

l17365-005 | eBay

If you do, before you replace the Intel card, uninstall the adapter and driver in the device manager, and do the same for the Intel bluetooth driver and Intel bluetooth software in the Windows control panel>programs.

Then you can shut down the PC and install the Realtek card.

Here are the links to the latest Wifi and Bluetooth drivers for that model card.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp135501-136000/sp135885.exe 

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp135501-136000/sp135683.exe 

HP Recommended

Many Many thanks for all your help...ive gone and bought a  RTL8821CE on your recommendation and will give that a try.  If(and i think it will) resolve the issue ill  post and let you know how i got on with it and mark the post as Accept as solution.  Thanks so much for all your help.  its much appreciated 🙂 

HP Recommended

Anytime. 

Glad to have been of assistance. 

Hopefully, the Realtek card will work and resolve your notebook's WiFi problem. 

HP Recommended

Just wanted to update you...the new card is in and working well....thanks for the help and advice buddy

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad the RTL8821CE is working better for you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.