Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion dv6-7024nr
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

After a recent update I can no longer access wifi with the laptop. Works on a cable just fine. I've tried a few of the fixes recommended here to no avail. I think the card is junk--is there  a way to test it? When I access it in device mgr, it shows the card is not present. Thx in advance--

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@edhackem,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

Are you able to connect other devices to the same network?

Check that the wireless key or button is enabled

Most notebook computers have a button or keyboard key to turn the wireless signal on and off. Check the button or key status to verify if the wireless signal is on.

1. Locate the wireless key or button. This could be an image of an airplane or a wireless signal.

Button or key

Description

A standalone button with an airplane. This enables or disables “airplane mode” and turns off wireless and Bluetooth on the device.

F12 or F11 key with an airplane. This enables or disables “airplane mode” and turns off wireless and Bluetooth on the device.

F12 key with wireless icon and LED. This enables or disables "wireless mode." The LED illuminates in white or blue if active, and amber if wireless is turned off.

A standalone wireless button. This is typically located above or near the keyboard.

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to run a test on the Wireless network from F2: 

Turn the computer On and keep tapping F2 repeatedly on startup to enter system diagnostics. 

Select the component test and run a wireless test on your computer. 

Refer to this HP Article for assistance. 

If the test fails or does not detect the wireless card, you can try reseating the wireless module or contact our HP support team to check on the service options available for your computer. 

If the test passes, restart your computer. 

Try updating the BIOS, chipset and wireless drivers on your PC either from our HP support website, using this link or download it using HP support assistant.

Note: Before uninstallation of the wireless drivers make sure your PC is connected via ethernet cable.

Refer this article to know more information about using the HP support assistant.

You may refer to this support document for - HP PCs - Troubleshooting Your Wireless Network and Internet Connection (Windows 7)

Let me know how it goes for further assistance. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thx for your response. The wifi network is working, phones and other laptops can access.  The wireless key is F12 and it remains amber when it is depressed. I have removed the wireless card to get info on a replacement so it has been re-seated. I will try the wireless test and the driver update later when I have some time.

HP Recommended

@edhackem,

Please take your time and get back to us with the results. I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Take care and have a great day!

Cheers 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I had my son run assorted tests and his conclusion was the wifi card had checked out. I have one on order and will update when installed.

HP Recommended

@edhackem,

I'm glad to hear you were able to diagnose the issue. 

The best option at your disposal is to go for a USB dual band wireless adapter and that is economical and cost effective. It does the trick for you and can be purchased online or locally.

I hope everything works fine. Do let us know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help you.

That said take care and have a great day!

Cheers 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

replaced the wifi card and it's now working properly

HP Recommended

@edhackem,

Perfect! I am really glad to hear about that.

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.