Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello HP,

About a week ago, the Wirless Button that is used to toggle Airplane Mode on and off stopped working. I figured that the issue had something to do with the driver being corrupt or something of that nature, so I went into "Programs & Features" and tried repairing the driver, and when I did so, I got this error message:

Since that didn't work, I tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it. When that did not work, I went back and ran the Programs & Features repair again, getting the same error message, I then uninstalled and reinstalled it again. I kept going through this cycle, getting the same error message on the repair, until eventually, running the repair made a box appear saying "Please wait while Windows configures HP Wireless Button Driver"; the progress bar on the box just zipped to the end, and nothing loaded. Tired of this, I went to talk to the HP Support team. They recommended system restores, which I could not do because as of my latest restore point, the button was already not working. They recommended checking the BIOs and restoring default settings, that didn't work. They verified that the issue was not hardware failure. They also told me that the error message implies that my Windows Installer Utility is corrupt. After remotely connecting to my computer, they assured me that my utility is not corrupt because if it was, I would have a problem installing Windows Updates, and updates were working just fine. I have been told that I have no choice but to start over with a fresh Windows installation, but I want to avoid doing so if possible. I have verified that toggling airplane mode using the on/off switch already included in Windows 8 does make the button's light change colors as it should; it's pressing the button that does not work.

I have an HP ProBook 4540s, running a 64 bit version of Windows 8. Just to clarify what button I am talking about, here is a picture of the HP ProBook 4540s keyboard with the wireless button circled. Please note that although this is an older model (as you can tell by the Windows Button), the keyboard layout is exactly the same.

Wireless Button.jpg

Just as a sidenote, I am open to all suggestions - even those that require some technical know-how beyond that of which the average computer user is capable of. If there are any "hackers" out there that know how to trick the computer into thinking that the driver was never installed, please tell me how. I am sure that information about the driver is stored somewhere even after it is removed. I do not know that for fact, but I have a hunch about it.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello B_David,

Your ProBook is a Business model.  Your issue would be best answered on the HP Enterprise Business Community Forum

Good luck!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Is there a way that I can get this post moved?

HP Recommended

Finally found the solution after 3 weeks.  Tried and manupulated all drivers and NIC lan card of my hp laptop dv6 7011tx.

UNINSTALL HP Quick Launch which caused the whole lot of problems and do the following 

- Shut down laptop

- Remove power cable & battery

- Press power switch for 30 sec

-  Attach power

- Power up laptop without battery

- Switch on wifi ---it works

- Now switch on the laptop with battery

HP quick launch describes itself as "

Description

This package contains the HP Quick Launch Software, which enables special function keys on supported notebook models to be programmed. For example, the HP Quick Launch Software enables users to press the Fn+ESC keys to view system information. This software works with the supported operating systems. "

Note  :
                          This is the main problem.  I have found after seeing the internal working of this driver.  It caused the keys to work in its own described way thus overriding the wifi f12 button functionality to change from orange to white or white to orange.

After  and when restarting :
                                                       Put the computer to sleep and wake it up to find wifi on.

On normal shutdown and booting:
                                                                   Wifi works perfectly.

Note to HP:

Please check the working of HP Quick Launch Software.  I could find its algorithm and functioning and its made to override the default windows 8 key designed for HP.

Give me kudos if it works. 
Give me kudos if it works. And mark it is a Solution.

Thank you all for support and help.

Rahul
HP Recommended

Hi.

Bro i have the same problem with win 8.1 running 32 bit.

the problem is there isn't driver for WiFi button.

so it's easy to do.

you just need to install this program by HP

Mediatek Bluetooth Software Driver

Have fun bro :generic:

HP Recommended

Hi,

Kindly update the HP Wireless Button Driver from the below link.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5229456&swItemId=ob_124774_1&swEnvOid=413...

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the "Thumbs up" button on left to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.