Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
15-ChXXX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Ok this is getting a little annoying. My Intel Wifi card (Intel Wireless-AC 9260) vanishes after reboot/restart of my laptop. I cannot see it at all in the system tray under "Network & Internet settings"

To try to fix I go to Device manager > Network adapter and go looking for it. The card initially shows up but with the Yellow triangle so this is why I do not see it in the network setting as laptop does not see drivers or something.  So I right click and say update drivers. It then does not resolve and then drops the device down to Device Manager > Other devices and now shows up as "Unknown device". So I tried downloading the latest drivers from both HP and Intel website. I try updating the drivers with both of the exe programs I download to update driver. But they do not update it - I think they cannot even find the drivers. I try to update the driver manually it still does not update. 

So then I decide to just do a system restore. After doing a system restore I see the Wifi card in the Device Manager > network devices. So I am happy. But when I do a restart of the machine. I loose the Wifi card again. It's gone. I try to update drivers again like above. Same issue. 

I have now done the system restore twice. And each time after system restore I can see the Wifi card. But anytime after reboot I cannot see it. 

I am not sure if there is something happening in the middle like Windows update or similar. I dont think I have installed any VPN's or any major software either. This is getting really annoying. Any help in the matter would be appreciated. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Ok so a little bit more troubleshooing shows that a lot of windows backend services via Services.msc are showing 

"Failed to read description, Error Code 2"

Its a lot of services. I think this is why I cannot install the new drivers for my wifi cards. Anyone find why this would be the case. I am trying to do a lookup as to why this happened but not finding any reason and a fix. Any help would help

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.