Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
iAmChrisB Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP dv7 laptop wireless-N 1030 no longer working after Windows 10 upgrade

HP Pavillion laptop dv7t-6c00
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

Wireless functionality was lost on my HP Pavillion dv7t-6c00 laptop when I upgraded to Windows 10.

Here's what I have in my laptop now:

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Description: Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 1030
Driver version: 15.11.0.8

I've read some support threads on this topic and it seems that this wireless card is not supported by Intel in Windows 10.

I've also read that one suggestion is to replace the wireless card with an Intel Advanced-N 6230 wireless card.

I tried to replace the wireless card prior to upgrading to Windows 10 with an Intel Advanced-N 6230 wireless card but the wireless card I purchased seemed incompatible with the laptop, as it gave me a Halted screen when I started up the laptop.  So my frustration is I would gladly and easily replace the wireless card but I can't keep purchasing cards that are incompatible with the laptop.

What are my options?  Is there a specific/guarenteed HP Laptop compatible part number that I can purchase?   Even better, is there a link to where I can purchase a card that will definitely work?

Thank you ver much,

Chris

5 REPLIES
Retired
Retired
14461 711 1898
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HI @iAmChrisB,

Welcome to the HP Forum! Thank you for becoming a HP Forum member. It is a dynamite location to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others. For you have the best experience, here is a link for you to review, should you have any concerns: First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More

When I tried to bring up the specification for your model I discovered it is a CTO model and therefore the specifications are not available. You have upgraded to your system to Windows 10. You have the

Centrino(R) Wireless-N 1030 card installed and it is not supported by Windows 10. You would gladly change the wireless card but need to know which ones are compatible. Here is a link to the HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide.Please note chapter 3, page 29, item 22 for the recommended replacements. It does list the 

Intel Advanced-N 6230, but only if you have an Intel processor.  

Thanks! If this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution" button down below in this message. If you wish to say "thanks" for my effort to help, click the "Thumbs Up" to give me a Kudos. :catvery-happy:

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
iAmChrisB Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks.  I've seen that Service Guide before, which is what I used to order the Intel Advanced-N 6230 the first time.  But the Intel Advanced-N 6230 was not recognized when I installed it.  The startup halted and I could not get the laptop to boot unless I removed it completely.  And I do have an Intel Processor so it should theoretically work.

I will refer back to the Service Guide and avoid the Intel or AMD specific wireless cards entirely and try the Realtek 8188GN.

It should take a few days to ship.  When it arrives, I'll install it and if it works I'll let you know.

Thanks.

Chris

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
14461 711 1898
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HI @iAmChrisB,

Thank you for the update and please do let me know the outcome.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
iAmChrisB Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The  Realtek 8188GN is not working either.  And, at least from my research (which could be wrong), this apparently does not have a Windows 10 driver.

There seem to be 2 things at play here.

1) When I order an adapter from the list of suggested replacements in the  HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide (per chapter 3, page 29, item 22) do I have to order it from HP with the specific HP Product numeber or can I order from anyone?  Is there something special about the HP part number?

2) Whether or not there is a Windows 10 Driver for the adapter I choose.

I'd like to try the "Ralink 5390GN 802.11b/g/n 1×1 WiFi Adapter" next, but would like to get some advice before I purchase it and run into the same thing:

A) Does it have a proper Windows 10 Driver?  If so, where can I get it?

B) Is there an "HP Store" where I need to specify the 630703-001 part number to order this, or should this adapter be available from anyone?

Thank you,

Chris

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
14461 711 1898
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @iAmChrisB,

Thank you for the update. HP can and does sometimes alter a specific part to work correctly. It is always wise to use the HP part number. 

As this occurred after doing an upgrade, you may wish to consider trying the steps in this post by @Great-Deku Tree. Common fixes for wireless connectivity issues. to overcome the wireless issue with the existing card. You could also try installing the Windows 8 driver in compatibility mode. Compatibility Mode (from windows10forums.com) You can order HP parts from the HP Parts Store. If that is not applicable for your area, there are links on the bottom of the page to assist you. Here is a link that may also help. HP Notebook PCs - Ordering HP Certified Replacement Parts. Please keep me updated.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation