Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am running the netbook with Windows7 32-bit Starter Pack with Service Pack 1. The PC won't connect to the internet eventhough the bluetooth and wifi indicate they are not off.  Trying to connect with HP Quickweb is possible, though.  So, there is something wrong with Windows7.

1. The network and sharing centre says 'not connected'.  Viewing the basic network information and set up connection - "Unknown, the dependency and group failed to start".

2. Running windows network diagnosis - "Troubleshoot couldn't identify the problem".

Running the the diagnosis in advance mode - "Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy setting".

3. On checking the adapter - Broadcom 4313 802.1 1b/g/n, the device is working properly (as I have mentioned, I can connect through WiFi to the internet through HP Quickweb).

I suspect there could be some registry problem with dhcpcsvc.DLL file.  I was thinking of reinstalling Windows7 using the original installation media but I was not supplied with one when I purchased the unit.  How can I get hold of this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

As it appears you may have several corrupt OS files, probably the best solution is to reinstall.  Before trying the following, make sure to back-up all your personal files etc.

I realise that you don't have your Recovery Media, but you should still be able to reinstall the operating system from the Recovery Partition on the Hard Drive.  You can try this as follows.

Shut down the notebook.  Tap away at f11 as soon as you press the power button to see if this will launch Recovery Manager.  If it does, follow the instructions on the link below under the heading 'Restore the PC to its original condition with HP Recovery Manager from within Windows 7' but start at point 3 as you have initiated recovery manager from the f11 option.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01895783

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi,

Shutdown the notebook. Tap away at f8 as you start up to access Windows Recovery Console.  Use the arrow keys to select 'Safe Mode with Networking' and hit enter.  Let windows fully load in this mode and see if you can now access the internet - only choose a known 'safe site' such a Microsoft or HP as your security software will not be running while in this mode.  To exit Safe Mode, simply restart the notebook in the usual way and Windows will start normally.

Let me know the result.

Regarding your second question, you can order a replacement set of Recovery Media using the link below.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00810334

If you have any problem with this link, order them directly from HP - be sure to specify you need the USB Recovery Kit.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

Regards,

DP-K

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

No, It still won't connect to the internet.  And the network and sharing centre still shows 'not connected'.

Opening Internet explorer - IE cannot display the webpage.

Opening Google Chrome - an error message: chrome.exe - Bad Image

c:\windows\system32\dhcpcsvc.DLL is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator.

HP Recommended

Hi,

From the Start Menu, open All Programs, open Accessories, right click the Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'.  In to the prompt type the following command and hit enter.

sfc /scannow                 ( note that there is a space between sfc and the / )

Let the process complete, then type exit and hit enter.  Restart the notebook.

When windows has reloaded, open the Control Panel, open Administrative Tools and open services.  Check that the following service is configured as shown below.

DHCP Client                   Status = Started                       Startup Type = Automatic

If the above looks correct, but you still have no connection, do the following.

From the Start Menu, open All Programs, open Accessories, right click the Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'.  In to the prompt type the following command and hit enter.

ipconfig /all                        ( Note that there is a space between ipcofig and the / ).

Copy and paste the results into Notepad and then copy and paste these details with your next post.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

After the sfc /scannow, I get a message like this in command prompt - Windows resource protection found corrupt files but was not able to fix some of them.  Details can be found here C:\windows\logs\CBS\CBS.log

Trying to read what is in the CBS file returned a 'access denied' message.

The following service is indeed configured as below after restarting the PC

DHCP Client                   Status = Started                       Startup Type = Automatic

Next, trying to run ipconfig /all in the command prompt return the following error message: ipconfig.exe - Bad Image

c:\windows\system32\dhcpcsvc.DLL is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator.

HP Recommended

Hi,

As it appears you may have several corrupt OS files, probably the best solution is to reinstall.  Before trying the following, make sure to back-up all your personal files etc.

I realise that you don't have your Recovery Media, but you should still be able to reinstall the operating system from the Recovery Partition on the Hard Drive.  You can try this as follows.

Shut down the notebook.  Tap away at f11 as soon as you press the power button to see if this will launch Recovery Manager.  If it does, follow the instructions on the link below under the heading 'Restore the PC to its original condition with HP Recovery Manager from within Windows 7' but start at point 3 as you have initiated recovery manager from the f11 option.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01895783

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thank you.  Now everything's back to normal.  I had to reinstall the operating system from the Recovery Partition on the Hard Drive.

HP Recommended

Might be a good time to create your Recovery Media on USB flash drive:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01890478=

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

please solution ??

HP Recommended
Hp mini 110-3100 cannot connect to wifi,,,
what's the solution??
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.