Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

HP pavilion wireless drivers won't install

HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6701ca
Microsoft Windows Vista

I reinstalled Windows vista from a CD and the wireless drivers were not installed so I tried to install them and it looked like the installation was going on, but after I restarted the drivers were not installed. It shows up in programs and features.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
120,071 110,251 17,569 26,871
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

There can be more than one model wlan card HP could have installed in your notebook.

Please post the hardware ID for the device you see listed in the device manager as a Network Controller, so I can figure out what model wireless card your notebook came with.

To find the hardware ID, click on the Network Controller device in the device manager.

Then click on the Details tab at the top of the Network Controller window.

Now you will see a Property drop down list, and it will be set to Device Description.

Drop down on that list, and select the 2nd item (Hardware ID's).

Post the top string of characters that you see in the window.

Highlighted
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here is the hardware ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_054C&SUBSYS_30CF103C&REV_A2

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

That ID is for the ethernet (wired) controller.

Sounds to me like you don't see a Network Controller device listed in the device manager?

If not, install this software and see if you can turn on the wireless network adapter by using this software.

This package contains the HP Wireless Assistant for the supported notebook models and operating systems. The HP Wireless Assistant is a user application that provides a way to control the enablement of the radios for individual wireless devices (such as Bluetooth, WLAN, or WWAN devices) and that shows the state of the radios for these wireless devices.

File name: sp36770.exe

If that fails to get the wireless card to show up as either a Network Controller in the device manager (needs a driver), or the model wireless adapter, then most likely the motherboard has cut the power to the slot the wireless card is plugged into, which was a common problem on that model series PC, due to its nature of overheating.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I installed it and wlan showed up but it said "this device is disabled in device manager".

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Does it show a model wireless card under the network adapters device manager category, or do you now see a Network Controller device listed in the device manager?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No and no.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Then the last paragraph of my first reply applies.

Motherboard is shot and cut the power to the wireless card.

No fix other than to replace the motherboard (not recommended), or purchase an external usb wireless network adapter.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It worked in windows 7.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation