Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre 360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP z5000 Wireless Mouse, Spectre edition, using it on my HP Spectre 360 (Windows 10 64-bit)  This is a Bluetooth mouse,  THERE IS NO USB DONGLE.  (Just clarifying, I've researched this problem and some of the advice that has been given to others included removing and reinserting the dongle, which of course is impossible since there isn't one).

Now for my problem.  This is a Bluetooth connected mouse, and it pairs and connects with no issues.  However, occasionally the cursor/pointer freezes.  The buttons all work, I can scroll and click, but I just cannot move the pointer; it works fine and then it freezes for maybe 30 seconds. Since the buttons/scrolling aren't impacted, I do not believe this is an issue with the Bluetooth connection.  I have looked and looked and I do not see that anybody else has described this exact issue.

Battery has been replaced, I have already verified that I have the latest drivers, and I have unclicked the "power off" option in the power management property of the Bluetooth connection.  (I don't think that's the issue anyway, even when I can't get the pointer to move, scrolling and clicking works so the Bluetooth connection is definitely on).  The surface I'm using it on is a mouse pad, and when the cursor is NOT frozen, it tracks fine.

I have tried the mouse on my old laptop (a windows 7 machine).  The problem still exists but it's not nearly as bad. Therefore, I think it is an issue with the new machine, or Windows 10, or both.

I really like the mouse, WHEN IT WORKS.  Unfortunately, this problem has caused me to go back to my old wireless mouse which I hate because the dongle it uses takes up a USB port.  The whole point of purchasing a Bluetooth mouse with my new machine (which only has a single full-sized USB port) was to avoid this. 

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi @lsquaredking,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are facing issues with your HP Z5000 Bluetooth Mouse wherein the mouse pointer freezes.

This issue could occur if the device is not compatible with Windows 10 operating system.

The compatible operating system for this mouse is Microsoft Windows XP/Vista/7/8 or Mac OSX.

Hence, the drivers are not available for Windows 10 operating system.

You may check the specifications from the link: http://hp.care/2ur2nDG

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

So, I'm confused.  I ordered this exact model, which was created to match my machine (the Spectre 360 laptop in Dark Ash)....    

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-z5000-darkash-wireless-mouse

And since this is a pretty recent model of laptop, did it even ever COME with anything but Windows 10??????  If not, then why on earth is HP pushing a mouse that aesthetically matches the laptop, and yet is not compatible with it???????

Since this mouse has the same "dark ash" color and futuristic HP logo as the Spectre x360 laptop, I would assume that it is supposed to WORK with that model.  And, the following blurb, pasted directly from the link above, implies that it does work.  Although, I have to question the "minimum system requirements", this mouse does NOT require a USB port.... but the "minimum" would lead the reader to believe that they have to have Windows XP *OR LATER*......  

Compatibility

Compatible to all Bluetooth enabled Notebooks and Desktops   

Minimum system requirements

Available USB port; Microsoft Windows XP/Vista/7/8 Mac OSX

I am REALLY NOT A HAPPY CAMPER RIGHT NOW.  

HP Recommended

Hi @lsquaredking,

Thank you for your reply, I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hello, same trouble here...

Ive recently bought a Hp Envy 13.3 wich was a costly laptop just for work, and a z5000 with it since its colors matches... the mouse worked fine some times, but started to freeze now and then. Right now its annoying since interrupts work.

Why keep selling W8 mouse if W10 is up few years from now? i dont think its too hard to update the drivers to make it compatible...

HP Recommended

Hello, ive tried this:

https://www.howtogeek.com/189856/ask-htg-how-can-i-keep-my-bluetooth-mouse-connected/?PageSpeed=nosc...

Those are simple steps to make your windows 10 bluetooth HID devices to stay connected.

The original problem was w10 disconnecting the device to save battery, causing the freeze.

After all the changes, no more freezes!

Cheers.

HP Recommended

Dr-Holtheuer:

I tried doing that before I ever posted my problem to this forum.  That solution does NOT work.  As I stated before, the mouse is on, the scroll button and right/left buttons are working, the only thing that DOESN'T work is the movement of the curson on the screen when the mouse is being moved. Since some of the mouse functions are still working, it is clearly NOT an issue with the Bluetooth interface being powered down.  If you read my original post, I clearly stated that I had already tried your recommended solution:

"Battery has been replaced, I have already verified that I have the latest drivers, and I have unclicked the "power off" option in the power management property of the Bluetooth connection."  

(I also have verified once again that automatic Bluetooth support services have been enabled... Yes, they have been, ever since I first started researching this issue weeks ago.)

In the link you provided, the user clearly states that they are using Windows 7 (not Windows 10).  This is an issue with Windows 10 and the fact that the mouse is not supported beyond Windows 8, even though it is clearly being marketed by HP as a companion to their Spectre series which ONLY comes with Windows 10.  

HP NEEDS TO STEP UP AND FIX THIS PROBLEM.  

HP Recommended

Don't be mad, just tryed to help... i had a similar problem, but was solved by this method (with windows 10). in your original post at least as far a i saw, wasnt metioned this fix. Any way, good luck with your problem.

PD: I think no one should "try" to get running any hardware or so in 2017, no to mention a mouse. i agree that hp or some other should fix this kind of stuff.

HP Recommended

I'm having exactly the same problem as the OP - very frustrating! It was the only HP bluetooth mouse available at JB Hifi when I bought the spectre x360 and had assumed it should readily be compatible with the latest operating system (or it wouldn't be on the shelf)

Is HP doing anything to resolve this? It's too late for me to return it to the retailer. I spent a lot of money on this new system.

HP Recommended

Hi Hammertime1981,

I have gotten NO help from HP.... apparently they don't think it's important to update their drivers for Windows 10 compatibility.

I did a ***LOT*** of research on this issue prior to putting up my OP, and even more after it was clear that I wasn't going to get help from HP.  I did find the following suggestion somewhere on one of Microsoft's tech support forums (I can't find the exact link, unfortunately):

"For the bluetooth mouse, it is recommended to download the driver for this device from the device manufacturer website(Search the mouse model). If they haven`t released the Windows 10 compatible drivers, try to install the latest drivers in compatibility mode (Right click the driver package, properties, compatibility). If this method won`t work, it is recommended to ask for help from the device manufacturer to get a Windows 10 compatible driver."

I have installed the drivers for this mouse in compatibility mode on my Spectre 360 running WIndows 10.  The issue is not *completely* resolved, however, it is much improved.  I can now use the Bluetooth mouse and only occasionally experience the cursor freezing issue.  (I do still keep my other mouse nearby, however.... sometimes I'm in rush mode and the cursor freezing with the Bluetooth mouse just gets TOO frustrating.)

I hope this helps you as well.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.