Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 8 (265 Views)

Having Wifi Connection issues

Product Name: hp pavilion 17-f113dx
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have been having wifi connection issues. My laptop requires me to connect the laptop into the modem via ethernet cord. sometimes my wifi works but if i move my laptop any distance it breaks the connection. Based off my research it leads me to believe I have a faulty wifi card. If this is the case i would like to upgrade it but i dont really know my options. Also i might add that this issues happens in different places and on different networks not just my own. 

Can someone please help me out

Thanks

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 8 (227 Views)

Re: Having Wifi Connection issues

Hi @XavierM1,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community! I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand you are having intermittent Wi-Fi Connection. I'll be more than happy to help.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you recently made any changes on the PC before the issue started?

Did it happen after the recent update?

Have you tried to update the drivers using Windows update or using HP Support Assistant?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

I would suggest please update the BIOS, Chipset and Wireless drivers on your PC from our HP Support website, using this link.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Here's a guided troubleshooter that will help fix this issue: Click here 

Try these steps: 

Go to Device manager > select the WIFI drivers under network adapter> Right click go to properties  > Under properties go to Power Management Tab> Uncheck  "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". 

If issue persists, continue with the below steps: 

• If your computer has a wireless key or button on or near the keyboard and the wireless activity light is off or amber in color, then press the key or button to enable your wireless adapter. This key might be the F10 key, F12 key or labeled with a symbol of an airplane. 

• If wireless activity comes on or the activity light turns blue, you have enabled wireless on your system. Try connecting to the Internet again. If problems persist, continue using these steps. 

• If your computer does not have a wireless key or the wireless activity lights remains off or orange, then continue using these steps. 

• Click Start, type troubleshooting into the Search field. 

• Select troubleshooting from the search results. 

• Click Network and Internet. 

• Click Internet Connections 

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

Let me know how that pans out,

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Top Student
Message 3 of 8 (215 Views)

Hi @jeet_singh ,

Thanks for your reply 

I didnt make any changes to the pc around the time the issue started. I am not knowledge about updating drivers so i do mess with them. The Problem has been happening for about 2-3 months now . I thought it was my internet provider until the issue started to handle everywhere i too my laptop. I had a friend that works with computers look at it he said the laptop is uninstalling drivers on its own. I tried fixing it . That worked for a few days then it went back to the usual issue. 

After readin your entire write up i tried all the soution and the problem is still present. I tried all the suggested steps in your write up in the exact order you gave them to me. It seem to work for a good 10 mins . The connection broke again. I have to connect my laptop via ethernet cord just to repy to your message it wont hold a connection on it own.'

I really appericate your help. Is there any thing else you can recommend to me ? 

Thanks 
Xavier M

HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 8 (199 Views)

Hi @XavierM1,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue. Don't worry as I have a few other steps which should help you resolve this issue.

Let's try these steps here: 

I would suggest you download this file and save it on the desktop: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64501-65000/sp64950.exe

Next thing, I would suggest you to launch Device manager and then uninstall the Wireless driver listed under Network adapter and please put the check box next to delete the driver software for this device if prompted and click on OK.

Once done restart the PC and then click on the file which you have downloaded and saved it on your desktop and then install it.

Once done restart the PC and test the wireless connection.

I hope this should do the trick. Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Top Student
Message 5 of 8 (163 Views)

Hi 

After tryng the last fix you recommended, my laptop still has the same issue but this time the connection symbol at the bottom does not show that it has lost connection. It shows like i have a good connection but when i try to go to a webpage it will show the message that you would see when you dont have a connection. 

Im not sure whats the problem.  Do you think me retrying any of the steps will help ?

HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 8 (155 Views)

Hi @XavierM1,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue. I would suggest you try these steps here once again which should help you resolve this issue.

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand network adapters >then select the wireless drivers and right-click on it and uninstall the wireless drivers.
  • Then restart the computer and check again.
  • If you are able to connect to the internet using hardwired Ethernet connection, please update the Bios and chipset drivers for your PC using this link.
  • Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

While you respond to that, If you've already installed a different version of the driver and yet the issue persists, you may want to restart the wireless setup from scratch, by deleting the drivers and installing fresh copies compatible with win10: Click here to find common fixes to your concern (if only your device cannot connect to the network but others can).

Meanwhile, The best way to do that is using the HP Guided troubleshooter: 

Click here to access it (simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern).

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Top Student
Message 7 of 8 (121 Views)

Hey @Jeet_singh

Thanks for all your help with my Issue.

I havent replied in a while because i was trying to study the my network behavior. I am stoll having the same issues.  The only way i can get a decent connecition is through a wried connection. When i move away from my modem  I lose connection . It takes a few mintues to get it back. If i stay in the same location it gets a connection for an hour or so then i lose it again. 

My other devices do not have this issue. I did not have this issue for the first year and a half of me owning this laptop. I disconnected all the devices from the wifi. The Connection drop problem is still present. It also does this thing were for a while my latop cant find any networks in the area and there is usually about 7 . I  Just had this issue so i got really close to the modem and it connected again. You dont think replacing my wifi card will help my proboem. I dont mind doing it because i would perfer one with bluetooth. 

Im all out of ideals.

Thanks

HP Support Agent
Message 8 of 8 (92 Views)

Hi @XavierM1,

Thanks for the update,

As I understand the Wifi connection drops while moving away, this could be to due to bad signal strength. I believe you have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, as well as updating the Bios, chipset and Wifi drivers and still having the issue. If it still doesn't help, it is either a hardware or software-related issue. To determine this, I would like you to reinstall the Operating system. It will clear up any software conflicts and all you to start fresh.

First, please ensure you backup your files. Here is information on how to do this:  

HP PCs - Backing Up Your Files Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows 8.1)

Once this is done, it is safe to reinstall the operating system:  

Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 7, 8 & 10)  

If you've already reinstalled the windows using the above steps, skip the step and run a hardware test:  

Use Windows Network and Internet Troubleshooter

I would suggest you contact our HP phone support for further assistance. 

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation