cancel
T0nyaBg00d Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Help! My hp envy Windows 8 has lost Internet wireless options.

Envy 17t
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

My laptop recently lost the option to connect to the Internet.  When hovering over the Internet connection icon on the right hand side of the tool bar it reads "not connected - no connections are available." When I click on the icon and go to view connection settings it only gives me an Ethernet option or adding a Von number. No wireless options except for Broadband Connection which reads when clicked on "This connection is not available because there is a problem with your modem or network adapter." Any help is appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Retired
Retired
8121 8112 483 922
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings @T0nyaBg00d,

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are unable to use Wireless on your notebook. Don't worry, I will be glad to help.

Have you tried any troubleshooting steps on your own?

Recommend you to open device manager by doing a right-click on the Windows button.

Expand network adapters in device manager window.

Check if there are any errors on the Wireless adapter. 

Right-click on the wireless adapter and check if it is enabled, if not please enable it.

You can also run the troubleshooter available in the control panel. Control panel can be accessed by doing a right-click on the Windows button.

Run HP Support Assistant once your computer is connected to the internet and make sure all the drivers are updated. Click here to know more.

Refer to this HP Article for other troubleshooting steps. 

Let me know if this helped. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
T0nyaBg00d Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Chimney_83!

Thank You so much for your response.  I did somehow with your guidance find a setting that let my install my ISP information using a dial up. I'm assuming this is the number is the one given with my account info for a home line. I now have the option saying dial up connection however it will not run or is not available because there is a problem with my modem or network adapter. I do not recall using a dial up connection before we had wireless Internet connection. So I am still doing something wrong. I am terribly sorry and appreciate any more input.

when I tried your first suggestion to go to device manager then network adapters I get a list of 9 options one being Realtek and the other 8 being WAN Miniports which all read "This device is working properly." No Wireless Adapter option under Network Adapter.

I did try the broadband connection and it to read 'error 651: the modem (or other connecting device) has reported an error.'

I apologize again. I'm a mess. Just might have to take it in. But thank you again fo all your help and input.

TonyaBg00d 🙂

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
8121 8112 483 922
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and trying the suggested steps. 

Before you uninstall the wireless adapter from device manager, I recommend you to try checking if the adapter is enabled using Network and Sharing center, please follow the procedure mentioned below. 

Open network and sharing center by doing right-click on the network icon the taskbar. 

On the network and sharing center screen, select the option on the left - change adapter settings.

This would display the network adapters on the computer. 

Right-click on the wireless adapter and check if it is enabled and try to connect to your network. 

Recommend you to connect to 2.4Ghz network instead of 5Ghz network, in case you are using a dual band router. 

For me to be able to guide you with the uninstallation of the wireless adapter, recommend you to share a screenshot of the device manager. 

Keep me posted. 

Please click ‘Accepted Solution’ on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the ‘Thumbs Up’ Icon below.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation