Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Stream 00325 91103 83991 AAOEM
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop will connect to my home wifi and connects to the internet no problems whatsoever. But whenever I try to get online using a public wifi connection such as airports or hotels it connects to the wifi but my home page will not open and returns the below message.

When I use chrome

"Unable to connect to the internet please check your internet connection settings and try again" 

When I use internet explorer

"This site is not secure

The hostname in the websites security certificate differs from the website you are trying to visit"

I've explored all the usual avenues and still no luck. If anyone has come across this please get in touch.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Daz9123 An open (public) network is not secure, which is why HP doesn't recommend using it, however, if it isn't working, you may want check this link for details from Microsoft, also, if you've installed all latest windows updates on your device and know that the router in use has been upgraded, try the below steps:

Manually changing the network settings can resolve wireless connection issues. Create a restore point in Windows, and then manually change the network settings.

1. In Windows, search for and open Create a restore point.

2. On the System Properties window, click Create.

Clicking Create on the System Properties window

3. Type a name for the restore point, and then click Create.

Windows creates the restore point.

4. In Windows, search for Command Prompt. In the results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

If a User Account Control message displays, click Yes.

Opening a Command Prompt as Administrator

5. Type the following commands one at a time, pressing Enter after each one:

• netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled

• netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

• netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled

Typing commands in Command Prompt

6. To open the TCP Global Settings, type netsh int tcp show global in Command Prompt, and then press Enter.

7. Make sure all settings are disabled except Receive-Side Scaling State.

Settings are disabled except Receive-Side Scaling State

8. Close Command Prompt, restart the computer, and then try to connect to the Internet.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.