Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
17-by3065st
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need to find a new RJ-45 cable to work on this new laptop and to work with a standard modem plug in - wowway is the internet provider-my old cable won't work with this laptop

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

What is the brand and part number of the modem that your internet provider gave you?

What you will need is a Cat6/Cat6a/Cat7 or Cat8  ethernet cable to connect between your router and the notebook.

I had a non working internet experience with my home network setup with a Cat 5 ethernet cable in Europe.  I replaced the ethernet cable with a Cat 6 and life was good.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Will have to get one of those.

??My pc has a larger ethernet slot than my modem. What to I buy to connect the new ethernet cable in the pc to the old cable to go into the modem?

Also when can you use or what are SS usb slots used for?  Can I use them for a regular usb slot?

Thanks much

HP Recommended

"??My pc has a larger ethernet slot than my modem. What to I buy to connect the new ethernet cable in the pc to the old cable to go into the modem?" 

How about rephrasing that. It is not understandable in English. 

The Cat6 through Cat8 connectors on the cable fit into the older Cat4 and

Cat 5 headers in notebooks and desktop PCs.

USB SS headers are just higher bandwidth USB ports. SS stands for super speed. USB 2.0 is 480 MB/s USB 3.0. 3.1 and 3.2(gen1) are 5 GB/s

Read the document at the hyperlink below.

https://www.tripplite.com/products/usb-connectivity-types-standards

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.