cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
DG2137
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

I live in a condo with WiFi hp printer, how can I lockout others from accessing?

HP Recommended
hp envy 5660
iOS

I live in a multi unit condo and use an hp printer connected by wi-fi and not hardwired to a router. I have the person who’s unit is directly next to mine, printing items on my printer. How can I lock anyone else out from accessing my printer? Thank you

1 REPLY 1
Dragon-Fur
Level 16
Level 16
33,778 25,931 3,094 9,996
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@DG2137 

Consider using Wi-Fi Direct - wireless without a router between the printer and the computer.

How to...

Considerations here:

User Guide 

Chapter 7 - Section "Connect Wirelessly to the printer without a router" > Guidelines for using Wi-Fi Direct

Page 59

Setup and instructions here:

Printing with Wi-Fi Direct

Read the document including the FAQ section "How do I change the Wi-Fi Direct password, login settings, and more"

Once the printer is connected using Wi-Fi Direct, use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) to update the information.

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab Network > Wi-Fi Direct > Status > Edit settings

Finally, if you do not need Wireless, consider shutting off Wireless and purchasing a USB cable to connect the printer directly to the computer.  

NOTES

• Wi-Fi Direct can be used while the printer is also connected either to a computer using a USB cable or to a network using a wireless connection.
  • Wi-Fi Direct cannot be used to connect a computer, mobile device, or printer to the Internet (Web Services).

What the printer can do:

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Clarification of terms and "what the printer can do" (Specifications)

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

For example:

HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information, more

HP ENVY 5660 e-All-in-One Printer series

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation