Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17t C8U19AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to upgrade the wifi card in an HP Envy 17t C8U19AV laptop running Windows 10 Pro to a dual band card with bluetooth support to increase speed.

1. How do I find out if the BIOS has a whitelist?

2. Does it need an additional antenna? It already has 2.

3. The forum says earlier models cannot use a dual band card. Is this  because of the BIOS whitelist?

4. Does the C8U19AV support dual band w/BT cards?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well, removed the card. Uninstalled the driver. Reboot. Ran sfc and dism. Reboot. I nstalled the card without the tape. downloaded the driver from HP. Removed BT mouse. Installed BT mouse. Works.

Weird.  Thank you for your help and suggestions.

Cheers,

John

BTW, card was 14.99 😉

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

There is no whiteist for your ntebook. Yes, it will suport dual band, Some models in that series actually had dual band cards as you can see on page 52 of service manual

Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac 2×2 Wi-Fi + BT 4.0 Combo Adapter            724935-001

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 802.11ac 1×1 WiFi + BT 4.0 Combo Adapter710662-00

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03922401

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

HP Recommended

Hi, @1Mertoman1 

You can also use this readily available card...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0    HP Part # 710661-001

The above Intel card has the same throughput as the Broadcom AC card, is about $10 cheaper in used condition on eBay and has more up to date driver support...into 2019.

The above Intel card has twice the throughput of the 3160 AC card.

The Broadcom card only has driver support into 2016.

HP Recommended

I ordered the Intel card and I'll post an update when it's installed next week.

HP Recommended

I installed the Intel 7260 card.  The WiFi works. Bluetooth does not. I also downloaded the most recent driver from Intel and HP. Neither helped the Bluetooth issue (Code 45). I went to Device Manager and showed hidden devices. Bluetooth is there but Intel Bluetooth cannot be updated because it has the latest driver.

A video showed me to put tape on the last pin and re-insert the card. That didn't work. Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, I don't know why the Intel Bluetooth isn't working.

Did you uninstall the Bluetooth adapter and driver for the hidden Bluetooth device and restart the PC?

Sometimes there is a conflict with the drivers if you didn't uninstall the wifi and bluetooth drivers from the previous model wifi adapter before installing the new one.

Here is a related discussion where the 7260 AC was recommended for another 17-j000 model.

Solved: Poor wireless signal - HP Support Community - 6517734

Here is another where I recommended the 7260 AC and N cards...the person ordered the N card and it worked.

Solved: Windows 10 enterprise 1709 Creators - HP Support Community - 6435653

HP Recommended

Well, removed the card. Uninstalled the driver. Reboot. Ran sfc and dism. Reboot. I nstalled the card without the tape. downloaded the driver from HP. Removed BT mouse. Installed BT mouse. Works.

Weird.  Thank you for your help and suggestions.

Cheers,

John

BTW, card was 14.99 😉

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.