Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

I want to upgrade my wireless adaptor to get 5GHz

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-p222
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Can I buy and add a dual band adapter to my laptop?  Right now I have the most updated driver for my Realtek RTL8188EE 801.11 bgn Wi-Fi adapter -- which does not access 5GHz bandwidth.  Is it possible to buy a dual band adapter that will work with my laptop and, if so, can I just attach it to the laptop by a USB port or would I have to take my laptop in to be opened?

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
42,713 42,503 6,789 11,851
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here is the problem. Since your laptop came with the RTL8188EE wlan + bt card it only has one antenna. While you have no whitelist and could theoretically install any wireless card of the same form factor, to install any decent dual band card would require adding a second antenna which is a MAJOR project requiring nearly 100% disassembly. 

See pp. 3-4 of the Manual here:

Service Manual

If you have to pay someone the labor to do it, it is just not going to make economic sense. 

On the other hand for under $15 you can get a usb dual band wireless card like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Desktop-Backward-Compatible-Supports/dp/B01HO53CTO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8...

They actually perform pretty well and don't stick out from the chassis much. 

Post back if you want more help. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation