Honor Student
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I want to upgrade my wireless card from a single band to a dual band

HP Envy Dv6 7247cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Envy Dv6 7247cl Laptop that has a Ralink RT5390R 802.11bgn Wifi card. We recently switched to Comcast which offers 2.4 Ghz & 5Ghz wifi but the Ralink only recognizes the 2.4. How do I know if a wifi card I purchase  would be compatabile with and allow my laptop to recognize the 5Ghz band?

Sorry if my tech lingo is incorrect. I'm just average at best with tech stuff but willing to change out the card if there is one that will work.

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
Provost Provost
Provost
46149 40411 4373 11187
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Your notebook has a wifi adapter that matches the 1x1 antenna that is installed in your notebook.

A 2x2 antenna setup is required for an adapter that will  work on the dual band setup.  

So.. unless you are technically competent enough to upgrade the antenna, it would be a waste of your money because it would not work.

If you really want to say thanks, click on the Thumbs up icon .
If your problem is solved or question answered by my post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
103177 93729 14392 22114
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

As long as your notebook currently has two antenna leads attached to the wireless card, you can install an Intel dual band 7260 Wireless N or AC card with no problem.

See this related thread...will work just fine...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Pavillion-dv6-7000-WLAN-White-L...

There is such thing as a 1 x 1 or 2 x 2 antenna. 

There are 1 x 1 and 2 x 2 wireless cards, but the antennas that attach to either are the same.

There is only one kind of antenna used in a notebook PC and depending on the model it will have 1, 2 or 3 antennas.

Regarding antennas...This has been discussed before....

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Upgrade-Laptop-Wireless-to-AC/m-p/5499...

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation