Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre X360 Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This post is intended to help other owners of X360 notebooks with wireless connectivity problems or who want to upgrade their wireless card from the ubiquitous Intel AC 7265 to a faster 8265 series.

I'd read online horror stories of wireless card upgrades being rejected by hp laptops because of the bios whitelist. Solutions posted about hacking the bios with a hex editor, while really impressive, require a brain superior to mine...

I picked up used HP Spectre x360 13-4193DX with wifi problems and used it for a while with an ethernet cable. I tried all the usual upgrading of wireless drivers to no avail. On this forum and elsewhere I read about problems with wireless cards on hp laptops so I opened the case and found that the two antenna cables were plugged in the wrong way round (ie. cable 1 in the connector slot for cable 2 and vice versa). Perhaps it was like that from the factory or the previous owner did that trying to fix the issue. I put them in correctly thinking I'd sorted it - but again no wifi signal.

So maybe my wireless card is a dud that needs to be replaced but given the large number of hp customers with the intel AC 7265 card having wireless issues I suspected there may be an incompatibility issue with some hp units. I read on this forum a helpful post by Blackknight7218 (https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Intel-AC-8260-in-Spectre-X360/m-p/603...) about a similar upgrade to an AC 8260.

So I got and installed the newest version I could find of the Intel AC 8265NGW series wireless card (P/N : G86C0007J610 - cost $20) - and BINGO! it worked as soon as I rebootedm updating the driver by itself.

Of course there is no way we can be sure that this will work on all X360 variants or other hp models - but $20 is not a huge loss if it doesn't - and worth a try if you're pulling your hair out because you can't make full use of an expensive laptop! The bigger risk is frying your laptop if you go about it in clumsy way - ie. be careful to avoid static discharge damage to components once you have the cover off.

One last thing - if you do this upgrade make sure to put the antenna cables in correctly. On my laptop the position and length of the cables made them align incorrectly with the connectors, so don't just push them in because they seem to line up. Ok the cables and the card are labelled in microscopic text but its not impossible to figure out.

Good luck 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.