Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 17 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hello,

I have been having serious problems with my HP Pavilion 17 Notebook's WiFi driver. It first began with periodic disconnects when I was using Windows 8.1. When I would close the notebook it would disconnect from WiFi, and every few hours it would disconnect as well. (Connection to my router would display a yellow exclamation point, say limited, and all other networks would disappear from view).

More recently, within the past week, the disconnects have become far more frequent. I'm talking every 10 minutes or so. Now it's at the point where the lap top is simply unusable.

In the past I would just go into devices through the control panel, and disable then enable the Ac3160 driver and that would seem to do the trick to get me through the day. However, now that simply does not work. I am at my wit's end.

Yesterday I updated to Windows 10 to see if that would alter the way the driver is behaving - nope.

I have unchecked any boxes in power management settings that would disable network connection to save power.

I have updated the driver.

I could definitely use some help! Thank you.
7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi! @PavilionHP13, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you have a wireless issue with your laptop.

Please uninstall all the components of wireless drivers from your laptop and restart your laptop.

Install the latest wireless driver from intel website directly.

Here is the link to update the wireless drivers. Update the wireless drivers and check if you still have wireless issues with your laptop.

I'll keep an eye out for your response.  

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks very much.

I uninstalled the AC3160 driver, restarted my lap top, and then installed from intel. 

For the first few days after doing this, my Wi-Fi would connect automatically upon starting up again and no disconnects occured. 

Yesterday and today my Wi-Fi did get a yellow exclamation point and all other nearby networks disappeared from  my Wi-Fi tab.  I had to restart my computer (which failed and I got a blue screen).  So a major disconnect has been happening once a day.

Are there any other steps I could possibly take to improve this?

HP Recommended

Hey there! @PavilionHP13, thanks for the response.

As you mentioned that even after updating the drivers you still have wireless issues with your PC.

Please provide the product number of your PC. I will try to find the best drivers for your laptop.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Product number: J6E21AV

I think it's important to add that typically when the Wi-Fi shorts out, my computer is unable to properly uninstall the wireless driver, nor can it restart or shut down properly.  When I attempt to uninstall the Ac3160 adapter it says "uninstalling" that never actually completes the action.  When I restart it goes to the "restarting" screen but never carries out the action, then I eventually get a blue screen.   Not sure if this is a hardware issue.

I was only able to uninstall the Ac3160 adapter initially after restarting the computer a few times and got lucky. 

Thanks. 

HP Recommended

@PavilionHP13

Thank you for the update,
I appreciate your time and efforts,

Considering the multiple issues you've mentioned on the last post,

I would recommend running a hardware test on your device, using both extensive HDD test and a system test to be on a safer side as this could be a hardware issue, since the PC has trouble turning on and shutting down as well.

Click here for details on Hardware diagnostics.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi, so I ran a Diagnostic UEFI Extensive Systems test. It failed and in the test logs this is the failure shown:

Failure ID
PLUFVH-77F8AK-MFPV7F-61EB03
Hard Drive 1

So it seems to be the case that this is the underlying issue. I've never encountered this type of problem before, so any thoughts on what my next step should be? Hope to hear from you soon, thanks!
HP Recommended

@PavilionHP13, thanks for the response.

Thanks for trying out the steps.

It is a hardware issue with the hard drive, You have to replace the hard drive before it fails completely.

Please contact HP and get service options for your laptop.

Link to contact HP.

Hope this helps!

Have a wonderful day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.