Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Notebook - 15-ab102nv
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have this laptop Pavilion Notebook - 15-ab102nv with Wi-Fi Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11 bgn and want dual band wifi (also have wifi disconections), so i bout from ebay this wifi adapter Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160NGW Bluetooth 4.0 Wifi.

This card is compatible with my laptop?

Please can you help me? it is possible to make it work on my laptop?

I try but the laptop have one antenna cord and if put to 1 position works the wifi but not the bluetooth and if put it on position 2 works the bluetooth but not the wifi.

What can i do? please any solution?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Just found this helpful video for my case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlzrqebX-cg 

so for someone "brave" like me it is good solution...

I am going to install second antenna cable.

This card is compatible with my laptop? > no,....but "yes"!

It is possible to make it work on my laptop? > yes!

This card works after installation a second antenna cable on my laptop? > yes!

Thanks to all for helping.

edit ....(on 05-12-2017 12:54 AM)

DONE....successful   :OpenSmile:

View solution in original post

In this video I go through all of the steps required to upgrade the wireless network card and antennas on an HP Pavilion 14-ab166us laptop. The network card used in video is an Intel 7265ngw wireless ac Video shot with Galaxy S5
8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello, @thanfun - Hope you are well 🙂

Thank you for becoming an HP Forum member. It is a great location to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others!

The Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160NGW Bluetooth 4.0 Wifi card is not tested with this PC and may not be compatible with your HP Pavilion. These are the tested cards available for your PC:

Having said that, your current wireless card does support both wireless and Bluetooth. Your inbuilt wireless card is 802.11b/g/n (1x1) and Bluetooth® 4.0 combo (Miracast compatible). Check http://hp.care/2oChZy5 

Hence there is no need to update if you just need the Wifi and Bluetooth capability. 

I hope that answers your concern adequately. Let me know!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

thanks for answer but what is the deference between tow AC 3160 Bluetooth Wifi card? 

and do you know if my AC 3160NGW works after installation a second antenna cable on my laptop?

HP Recommended

Hello, @thanfun

The current card inside your notebook is a single band and the one that you purchased is a dual band network card. The major difference is with respect to the speed and the range of the card. Also, single band can work on either the 2.4 GHz band or the 5.0 GHz band at the same time.

Check http://hp.care/2oRZgh7 & http://hp.care/2oRZgxB for details.

I am not sure about the Intel card working on your laptop. Even if you install the second antenna, the physical dimensions may not support the card.

Let me know if that helps!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

please read my first post the new card (AC 3160NGW) fits well on my laptop (dimensions is ok) and work but only wifi or bluetooth not both at the same time because have only one antenna cable on my laptop (if put it at positions No 1 have wifi but not bluetooth and i put it on position No 2 have bluetooth but not wifi), so if install one more antenna cable (maybe this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Top-Pair-of-PCI-E-Laptop-Mini-PCI-Wireless-Wifi-Internal-Antenna-/2013522339... or this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Pair-of-PCI-E-Laptop-Mini-PCI-Wireless-Wifi-Internal-Antenna/19158282015... on the back of laptop screen i think) and put it together on posistions No 1 and 2 maybe have working wifi and bluetooth together...this is my question.

also my secont question is what is the deference between my new card (intel AC 3160NGW) and the other AC intel 3160 card that you said (from service manual of my laptop i think) is compatible and checked on my laptop (on your first post), seems like is the same card. so maybe or can be drivers problem? or what?

thanks 

HP Recommended

Hi @thanfun

The wireless card you have purchased and installed on your computer is a dual band wireless card and that is the reason there are two antenna connectors on it. However, the pre-installed wireless card on your computer was a single band wireless card. This is the reason why only the wireless or the Bluetooth is working based on the antenna connected to port 1 or 2.

You can try installing an additional antenna and check whether that helps. You can make changes at your own discretion, however, HP doesn't recommend the same nor has information about the tools used.

Hope that answers your question.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

thanks for answer,

but please tell me this card "Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + BT 4.0 Combo Adapter" (taken from first post and from laptop service manual) it is compatible, tested and works on my laptop (as first post said) but it is also dual band, so how this card works with only one antenna cable? and why this card "Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160NGW Bluetooth 4.0 Wifi" (my card from ebay) do not work?

i know maybe your not a technician but maybe you know.

thanks

ps

i am sorry for my poor English

HP Recommended

Just found this helpful video for my case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlzrqebX-cg 

so for someone "brave" like me it is good solution...

I am going to install second antenna cable.

This card is compatible with my laptop? > no,....but "yes"!

It is possible to make it work on my laptop? > yes!

This card works after installation a second antenna cable on my laptop? > yes!

Thanks to all for helping.

edit ....(on 05-12-2017 12:54 AM)

DONE....successful   :OpenSmile:

In this video I go through all of the steps required to upgrade the wireless network card and antennas on an HP Pavilion 14-ab166us laptop. The network card used in video is an Intel 7265ngw wireless ac Video shot with Galaxy S5
HP Recommended

Hi @thanfun

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that! 

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Take care!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.