Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook x360 1030 G3 Notebook PC

Hello,

I'm currently trying to enable the eSIM feature, if my notebook even supports it. Mine still has a SIM slot.

But on this page it says, "Intel XMM 7360 LTE-Advanced: Softpaq sp91807 enables eSIM function".

I found the driver on "https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp91501-92000/sp91807.exe" but it's obviously from 15-Apr-2019.

Before I scrap my system, I wanted to ask for info if anyone has tried this.

Greetings

Hallo,

ich versuche gerade die eSIM Funktion zu aktivieren, wenn mein Notebook das überhaupt unterstützt. Meins hat noch ein SIM-Einschubfach.

Aber auf dieser Seite steht, "Intel XMM 7360 LTE-Advanced: Softpaq sp91807 aktiviert eSIM-Funktion".

Ich habe den Treiber auf "https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp91501-92000/sp91807.exe" gefunden, aber der ist offensichtlich von 15-Apr-2019.

Bevor ich mein System schrotte, wollte ich um Infos bitten, ob das jemand mal probiert hat.

Gruß

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi -

The 7360 - and 7560 - and most HP laptops - all do not have a built-in eSIM.  But there is a way to make it work.

Most laptops with eSIM functionality have an actual chip-like eSIM soldered to the motherboard, thus providing eSIM capabilities to the laptop.  What HP does is slightly different - they provide a special, physical, programmable, removable eSIM chip from Thales / Gemalto , which comes installed in the regular removable SIM card slot.  You can typically only get that when you custom-order a laptop and specify that as an option.... and only with the patch AND that card will eSIM functionality work.

The problem is - you can't get a replacement or spare removable eSIM card from HP - they don't even list it in PartsSurfer or in the Parts catalog.   So if you already HAVE an HP laptop - with a SIM card slot and the adapter - but you don't have that special removable eSIM card, you don't get eSIM functionality.  Very frustrating.

However, another poster (and I can't find the thread now which is why I'm posting this) pointed me to website "esim.me" - this is a company out of Germany that sells blank, programmable, removable E-SIM cards.  You can, for US $29 (at the time of this posting) get a 5-profile eSIM card from this site shipped to you.  Now, the site claims that the cards are only compatible with Android devices, and that you must use their app to load profiles onto the card.  But actually the converse is true:  IF You are using their card on an Android device, it will work, and in that case you need the app.  However, you only need the app because Android does not (yet) understand eSIM cards natively.

But the esim.me cards turn out to be actual, valid, blank, multiprofile eSIM cards, and if you put them in a Windows 11 laptop with "4G" compatibility, Windows will recognize it - natively - as an eSIM card, it will default (in the US) to network "Telco Village" and Windows will let you add eSIM Profiles to it just as you'd expect.  The "Microsoft Plans" app also works as expected.

I bought their cards and tried them in an HP ZBook Firefly G7, an HP ZBook Fury G7, and an HP MT46 (special purpose Elitebook), and they worked perfectly and as expected in all three machines.  I just popped out my normal carrier SIM card, popped in the esim.me card in its place, and (after a reboot) suddenly had access to eSIM profiles - natively - through Windows 11 Network Cellular settings.  Super-nice, and well worth the cost.

Now: note that if you're on (or have ordered) a more recent laptop with a 5G module  (HP uses the "Intel 5000 5G Solution WWAN module") that module has built-in eSIM capabilities - so you don't need the Gemalto eSIM card - the 5000 has eSIM on board.  It also has a SIM slot, so you can have a carrier SIM inserted and switch between it and eSIM profiles via Windows Network Cellular settings.  Super-nice.  So you only need the esim.me card if you want to eSIM-enable a compatible 4G-only laptop.

I am NOT an HP employee, nor am I an esim.me employee.  I'm just an end user, but this worked for me, hope it helps.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi -

The 7360 - and 7560 - and most HP laptops - all do not have a built-in eSIM.  But there is a way to make it work.

Most laptops with eSIM functionality have an actual chip-like eSIM soldered to the motherboard, thus providing eSIM capabilities to the laptop.  What HP does is slightly different - they provide a special, physical, programmable, removable eSIM chip from Thales / Gemalto , which comes installed in the regular removable SIM card slot.  You can typically only get that when you custom-order a laptop and specify that as an option.... and only with the patch AND that card will eSIM functionality work.

The problem is - you can't get a replacement or spare removable eSIM card from HP - they don't even list it in PartsSurfer or in the Parts catalog.   So if you already HAVE an HP laptop - with a SIM card slot and the adapter - but you don't have that special removable eSIM card, you don't get eSIM functionality.  Very frustrating.

However, another poster (and I can't find the thread now which is why I'm posting this) pointed me to website "esim.me" - this is a company out of Germany that sells blank, programmable, removable E-SIM cards.  You can, for US $29 (at the time of this posting) get a 5-profile eSIM card from this site shipped to you.  Now, the site claims that the cards are only compatible with Android devices, and that you must use their app to load profiles onto the card.  But actually the converse is true:  IF You are using their card on an Android device, it will work, and in that case you need the app.  However, you only need the app because Android does not (yet) understand eSIM cards natively.

But the esim.me cards turn out to be actual, valid, blank, multiprofile eSIM cards, and if you put them in a Windows 11 laptop with "4G" compatibility, Windows will recognize it - natively - as an eSIM card, it will default (in the US) to network "Telco Village" and Windows will let you add eSIM Profiles to it just as you'd expect.  The "Microsoft Plans" app also works as expected.

I bought their cards and tried them in an HP ZBook Firefly G7, an HP ZBook Fury G7, and an HP MT46 (special purpose Elitebook), and they worked perfectly and as expected in all three machines.  I just popped out my normal carrier SIM card, popped in the esim.me card in its place, and (after a reboot) suddenly had access to eSIM profiles - natively - through Windows 11 Network Cellular settings.  Super-nice, and well worth the cost.

Now: note that if you're on (or have ordered) a more recent laptop with a 5G module  (HP uses the "Intel 5000 5G Solution WWAN module") that module has built-in eSIM capabilities - so you don't need the Gemalto eSIM card - the 5000 has eSIM on board.  It also has a SIM slot, so you can have a carrier SIM inserted and switch between it and eSIM profiles via Windows Network Cellular settings.  Super-nice.  So you only need the esim.me card if you want to eSIM-enable a compatible 4G-only laptop.

I am NOT an HP employee, nor am I an esim.me employee.  I'm just an end user, but this worked for me, hope it helps.

HP Recommended

GlenB1, thanks for the detailed info.
I guess I will continue to just use my physical SIM. But the HP article mentioned above is irritating.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.