LemontreeLisa
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Internet Connection stops after 20 minutes

Pavilion g7 notebook pc
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

About a week ago my internet connection stops after twenty minutes.  First it stops then hooks up then stops entirely.  If I shut down the computer and restart it, I get another 20 minutes before it happens again.  Husband has the same laptop and no issues.  Running Trend Micro and no issues detected.  Updated BIOS and Realtek drivers with no success.  HELP!

6 REPLIES 6
Level 12
Level 12
4,534 4,501 384 1,620
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@LemontreeLisa wrote:

About a week ago my internet connection stops after twenty minutes.  First it stops then hooks up then stops entirely.  If I shut down the computer and restart it, I get another 20 minutes before it happens again.  Husband has the same laptop and no issues.  Running Trend Micro and no issues detected.  Updated BIOS and Realtek drivers with no success.  HELP!

It sounds like you might have something loading that is causing a conflict or issue with the Internet.  

You wouldn't happen to have Adobe Creative Cloud installed, would you?

LemontreeLisa
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have Adobe Reader X.  I haven't loaded anything recently.  I also tried resetting the system back to a few days before I had the issue and no luck.  It shows I am connected to the internet, but no access. 

0 Kudos
Level 3 Patty-B
Level 3
68 68 0 9
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @LemontreeLisa, thank you for visiting the HP Forum.  After checking in with one of the experts, I have received the following feedback for you:

--------

Clear cache of all your web browsers.

Check your notebook for malware using e.g. Malwarebytes' AdwCleaner and JRT.

The issue could be caused by overheating. Turn off the notebook and vacuum clean (both suck and blow) all cooling in/outlets.

You can reset both TCP/IP and Winsock stacks.
Open Command Prompt as administrator and run these commands:
netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log
netsh winsock reset catalog

There are many versions of HP Pavilion g7-???? notebook. You need to update all drivers from the HP support web for your notebook:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

You can eventually install HP Support Assistant:
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/pl...

--------

I am an HP employee.
LemontreeLisa
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you.  I will try each one and repond back if any of them work.

0 Kudos
LemontreeLisa
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have installed/reintalled almost every driver and update on the HP site specific for my laptop.  I have cleared all caches and temp files.  I can connect to the internet only by wired directly to the router/modem.  I can no longer work wirelessly.  Home Depot employee said it is my wireless driver.   But I ran the update and it didn't work.  How do I get to the dos prompt as an administrator?  It comes up as /user/myname and won't let me make the changes recommended.  Trend Micro scan is working and shows no malware or virus. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3 Patty-B
Level 3
68 68 0 9
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello LemontreeLisa,

Appreciate very much the details in your reply which I shared with our consultant.  See his additional input below.  Let us know if you have other questions.

###########
There is no antivirus program, which would be 100% "bullet" proof. You need to run in addition e.g. Malwarebytes' AdwCleaner and JRT.

The Internet connectivity issue could be caused by the Trend Micro Security software itself. Follow instructions here to test it:
https://esupport.trendmicro.com/en-us/home/pages/technical-support/1038598.aspx

You have not specified your operating system version nor your notebook product number. Thus it is impossible to give you precise instructions. See Google e.g. for How to open Command Prompt as administrator.  

Make sure that your wireless network card is turned on. There is either Fn + Fx key combination, or physical switch or software switch, which depends on computer model. Be aware that inserting network cable into LAN socket can automatically disable wireless network card on some computer models. Read user's manual for details.

Check Device Manager - Network Adapters for status of your wireless network card. It could be inactivated there.

Make sure you are trying to join your own wireless network and with correct password.

You must be an administrator level user to be allowed to install some programs and updates. Check Control Panel - User Accounts for your status.
###########

I am an HP employee.
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation