Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Laptop - 17-cg0710ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Product number   9YN79EA#ABD

I have a brand new laptop and its internet (wireless) is extremely slow (3Mbps dowload speed and 1.5 upload speed) compared to other much older laptops, which have 10x those internet speeds. THis is the problem I have, this is what i have done:

Windows update is completely updated, which took forever due to the lack of internet speed.

The HP support assistant says everything is fine. In particular, the software and drivers are up to date.

In device manager->network adapters, the following list is shown: Bluetooth device, ExpressVPN TAP Adapter , Interl(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz and a bunch of WAN miniports.

I tried things like disabling peer to peer update, or disable windows auto-tuning but nothing works. 

How can I solve this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Ok, I solved this myself, this is how i have done it.

The driver Interl(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz  was not updated. What is very surprising is that HR support assistant does not identify that there is a problem with the driver, and tells you that everything is up to date, which obviously is not. Furthermore, if you go to HR support website and look for drivers for my laptop model regarding network, it does not give you the option to download that driver. 

So I went to download a free program called Driver Easy which runs a scan on all you outdated drivers. There were many on the list, and one of those was indeed Interl(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz. The program allows to download an updated version of the driver and tells you (on the free version of Driver Easy) how to install it. I did it, reset the computer, and voila: now the internet speed is 20 (!!) times faster than before.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Ok, I solved this myself, this is how i have done it.

The driver Interl(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz  was not updated. What is very surprising is that HR support assistant does not identify that there is a problem with the driver, and tells you that everything is up to date, which obviously is not. Furthermore, if you go to HR support website and look for drivers for my laptop model regarding network, it does not give you the option to download that driver. 

So I went to download a free program called Driver Easy which runs a scan on all you outdated drivers. There were many on the list, and one of those was indeed Interl(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz. The program allows to download an updated version of the driver and tells you (on the free version of Driver Easy) how to install it. I did it, reset the computer, and voila: now the internet speed is 20 (!!) times faster than before.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.