cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Is there a list of wifi cards for Envy 6-1019nr?

HP Recommended
Envy 6-1019nr sleekbook
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I bought an HP Envy 6-1019nr used as a temporary laptop while I got my old laptop's motherboard fixed. I've upgraded to 16 GB of RAM & an OCZ SSD. After several days of configuring I got the fresh install of Windows running done & the laptop runs excellent even though the A6 is a turd.

I've been searching to see if the wifi NIC can be upgraded & I understand all to well about the stupid whitelist. But from what I gather there is no way to bypass that on the Insyde F.17 BIOS. So... what is my best upgrade option? Is there a list of compatible cards? I've got a great Asus router & I'd really like to have 5GHz. I swear I've searched. It's like this laptop is the **bleep** stepchild they don't wanna admit they made lol. I had a heck of a time finding a few of the drivers because they're no longer on the site. And I've been able to find them on much older models.

By the way I care not at all about bluetooth...

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 19
Level 19
85,774 85,661 10,886 23,314
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

There is a list on the first manual of the following link:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-6-Sleekbook/5269347/model/5286450/manuals

Note: even on the list, this may not work in your country.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Highlighted
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I guess I should've mentioned I'm in US. I just never think about it & assume that's where everyone is lol. Looks like ths thing has few options. None of those are good cards. From what I gether this BIOS can't be hacked to get rid of the controlling whitelist either. Gotta love the draconian ideals of HP. I think this is my last HP product. I've been thinking of spending some real money & upgrading to an MSI & now might be the time. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11
11,219 2,191 436 154
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ghostmechanic wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I guess I should've mentioned I'm in US. I just never think about it & assume that's where everyone is lol. Looks like ths thing has few options. None of those are good cards. From what I gether this BIOS can't be hacked to get rid of the controlling whitelist either. Gotta love the draconian ideals of HP. I think this is my last HP product. I've been thinking of spending some real money & upgrading to an MSI & now might be the time. 

What laptop you choose to use is your choice to make. All makers laptops before 2013 has some form of whitelisting not just HP - so it's not true what your saying.

-------- Looking for HP driver support When Windows 10 O/S isn't Supported ------
Windows 10 drivers may be available through Windows Update

Click 'Learn More' below for steps on using Windows Update to determine what drivers might be available for your product. Please be aware that HP does not guarantee Windows 10 drivers will be available from Windows Update.
Learn more
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is a HP USER community forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, Millions of folks have gone back from Win10 to their prior O/S -- something you don't hear about from MS. by WAWood but ALL to TRUE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Those that want HD Gaming should plan to invest in a Gaming Laptop to handle those requirements. Eamples GTA V or Crysis 3.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can you prove that? Because from what I understand MSI, Alienware & Asus have NEVER had any sort of whitelist & most Acer don't either. Yet ALL HP have until very recently.  I obviously couldn't have owned every model of every brand laptop but I have read a whole lot of forums on the subject recently as I have been trying to decide if I want to upgrade to a different laptop. And I never buy new. I always buy a couple years old to save money & then upgrade as much as I can. This Envy has an SSD, the RAM is maxed out & I replaced the keyboard with a backlit one. My old Compaq it replaced was upgraded completely including the CPU.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11
11,219 2,191 436 154
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ghostmechanic wrote:

Can you prove that? Because from what I understand MSI, Alienware & Asus have NEVER had any sort of whitelist & most Acer don't either. Yet ALL HP have until very recently.  I obviously couldn't have owned every model of every brand laptop but I have read a whole lot of forums on the subject recently as I have been trying to decide if I want to upgrade to a different laptop. And I never buy new. I always buy a couple years old to save money & then upgrade as much as I can. This Envy has an SSD, the RAM is maxed out & I replaced the keyboard with a backlit one. My old Compaq it replaced was upgraded completely including the CPU.

And your point? Your response has no merits.

-------- Looking for HP driver support When Windows 10 O/S isn't Supported ------
Windows 10 drivers may be available through Windows Update

Click 'Learn More' below for steps on using Windows Update to determine what drivers might be available for your product. Please be aware that HP does not guarantee Windows 10 drivers will be available from Windows Update.
Learn more
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is a HP USER community forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, Millions of folks have gone back from Win10 to their prior O/S -- something you don't hear about from MS. by WAWood but ALL to TRUE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Those that want HD Gaming should plan to invest in a Gaming Laptop to handle those requirements. Eamples GTA V or Crysis 3.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey brother I have the exact same laptop as you. Picked it up at a pawn shop for $200 and it already had a ssd in it. Ive also maxed out the RAM and it does run pretty well for what it is despite the CPU. 2 things: what backlit keyboard model number did you use??? Ive looked at a few but never pulled the trigger for fear of it not working. Also, did you ever come across supported dual band internal wifi chip?? Im using a USB dongle now, and the 5Ghz makes a huge difference, Id just like to free up a usb slot. Thanks alot for the reply!

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation