Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
PNB511 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Issue with hp pavilion x360 15-bk057sa. No wireless adaptor unless BIOS Reset each start up

hp pavilion x360 15-bk057sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Unless I go to the BIOS on startup of the laptop, by pressing F10, and then selecting reset to Factory Default, the wireless adpator does not show in Windows.

I have run the Startup Diagnostics, by pressing F2. The System Fast Test states 'Not Installed' against the Wireless Module Check.

I have updated the BIOS to the latest version and still no change.

The wireless module is there, just being bypassed on system startup, unless BIOS is reset each time the system is powered on.

Any help greatly appreciated, otherwise this unit will have to be returned to retailer.

5 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12747 821 1396
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Issue with hp pavilion x360 15-bk057sa. No wireless adaptor unless BIOS Reset each start up

@PNB511

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion x360 15-bk057sa laptop and unless you reset the BIOS to factory defaults, the laptop does not connect to the wireless network. The wireless adapter does not show in Windows. I read that the F2 system fast test states that 'Not Installed' for the wireless module check. BIOS is also updated. You've done a remarkable job performing the steps. 

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Have you tried to run the F2 diagnostics after resetting doing the BIOS defaults or before BIOS defaults? Because, after BIOS defaults the wireless card seems to detect and work OK.
  • Did any hardware changes take place on the laptop?

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• You may try to remove the wireless card out. Detailed steps with images are available on page no. 37 of the user guide
  • After the wireless card is out, please perform a BIOS update on the laptop. 
  • Post a successful BIOS update, please insert the wireless card back into the laptop. 

NOTE: The laptop must be powered off while inserting or removing a part from it. 

Post that you may run the F2 diagnostic tests. If the test fails then I believe it would be better to get the wireless card replaced. 

Please feel free to let me know the results. Hope this helps. Cheers! :)

PNB511 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ MKazi

Many thanks for you kind and informative reply.

I have spent many hours trying to solve this issue.

Each time I reset the BIOS to Factory Default, the Wireless Card will work in Windows, until the computer is restarted, or shut down.  After this, the Wireless Card will not be found by the BIOS (F2 Diagnostics) or Windows.

This is a brand new Laptop - 4 days after delivery and I do not want to void the warrany by opening the body to remove or replace the Wireless Card.

I have also loaded every BIOS Firmware available on the HP Support site,  for this model, going back to version F14a.

The UEFI Bios has very limited settings that can be adjusted apart from the date & time and Boot Order. Is there a hidden Advanced Menu that I am missing here?

Thank you in advance.

PNB

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12747 821 1396
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@PNB511

You're welcome.

There is no such hidden setting that I'm aware of that would make the wireless card to work. 

If you're not comfortable to open the laptop then I recommend you to contact our HP phone support to explore the hardware options available under the warranty. 

Please let me know if you have anymore questions. Good luck! :)

PNB511 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@MKazi

Many thanks for the advice - and the HP Support contact details :)

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12747 821 1396
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@PNB511

You're welcome. All the best! :)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation