Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 15 (3,935 Views)

Issues with HP Stream 11

Product Name: Stream 11 notebook
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just bought this notebook with intention of using it as navigational aid on sailing yacht.

When bought, system setup had multiple issues re registry etc. and very fragmented disc (which may or may not affect performance as ssd).

Bluetooth does not work. Will acquire keyboard and connect, but does not attach to input stream. Also, when attempting to pair with HDTV, pairing codes match, but notebook reports incorrect code.

HDMI is not recognised. In setup, connected devices, sees TV. Under displays, occasionally reports duplicate generic pnp device. Has shown TV in connected devices and printers, and has shown TV as audio output option, but not consistently.

Target o/s for navigation is Linux (Lubuntu) but hardware needs to be proven first. However lubuntu distribution wireless network device driver does not work with on board Realtek RTL8723BE.

Where do I get Bluetooth drivers from that work, and what should I expect to see with HDMI?

0 Kudos
Associate Professor
Message 2 of 15 (3,918 Views)

Re: Issues with HP Stream 11

[ Edited ]

Hi, Bluetooth and HDMI are not working correctly with Windows 10?  There could be a problem with the hardware if that is the case.  You might also try a fresh install of Windows 10, instructions are here.  I'm not sure why you had registry and fragmentation issues when you got it, it sounds like it got corrupted somehow.

The RTL8723BE WiFi works natively with Ubuntu 14.10 and up.  I am not sure if bluetooth works natively with Ubuntu, I think it did not when I tested it with 14.10.  I have not tried it with Lubuntu.

Intern
Message 3 of 15 (3,884 Views)

Below is the fix for WiFi on Linux; select Antenna 2. I can confirm it works on my HP Stream 11 with Mint 17.3. I can' t speak for your other issues as I don't use those features.

https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new/issues/28
Highlighted
Top Student
Message 4 of 15 (3,875 Views)

Present status of my issues with HP Stream 11

Thank you all for your responses.

My issues really broke down into three separate problems.

I marched the Stream back to PCW, who appeared to agree there was an issue with the Bluetooth, and I decided to agree to a swap out. The second machine behaves identically.

As far as HDMI was concerned, I was not aware that some cables are not bidirectional, but I picked this up somewhere on the net, and that resolved one issue.

Under Windows 10, the bluetooth keyboard will pair, and on typing displays 'connected' with sometimes a blue bar, but no characters appear on the input stream. The keyboard works under Ubuntu on my Dell Vostro.

On the Stream, my phone will pair, but does not offer a modem connection or anything else useful. That is the extent of my bluetooth devices here.

(As an aside, the Windows 10 update on the Dell Vostro has broken bluetooth altogether - it does not appear as a device present, so no chance of configuring it)

Now, most interestingly, perhaps, is the networking issue on the Stream under Ubuntu.

With my limited knowledge of Linux/networking I have attempted to pick up the latest? driver from lwfinger using the ppa/dkms route favoured by Pilot6 - though posted in June last year, so some uncertainty there.

When ubuntu (in test mode) boots on the Stream, the message that 'wireless networks are available' comes up, click to connect, but no access points are displayed. Interestingly, though, a networked wireless printer does appear listed. Does this imply that wireless networking is talking to the router, but in the wrong mode to connect to the access point? I have not authenticated the printer as I don't know the pass code!

Restarting the network services results in the same message. Wi-Fi Network is shown as disconnected and is greyed out. Disabling and enabling wifi has no effect. The RTL8723BE driver appears to be installed alright, and running.

If I then shutdown Ubuntu, and reboot into windows, the wireless network is at first shown with a red cross, but after a second or two, Windows 10 picks this up, enables it, and connects OK. So running Ubuntu is setting some condition that is carried over into the Windows environment.

Apologies for the relative ignorance of Linux network architecture and the utilities and files involved.

Top Student
Message 5 of 15 (3,873 Views)

Thanks PJC123...

Then it must be possible.

I started to read through 28 pages of postings, but with all the history and blind alleys I found it difficult to determine where the solution ultimately lay, although it could well be with the aerial issue. I may not be able to see access points at all because the nearest is mine downstairs..

In my ignorance, I was not sure how to pick this up. I will try to persevere, but if you can point me more precisely to the relevant postings, that would be great.

Intern
Message 6 of 15 (3,866 Views)

[ Edited ]

The issue with this laptop is that there is only one antenna, but two connectors on the wifi hardware.  The Realtek driver is using the empty connector, and that is why you can only pick up signals very close to the laptop, aka there is no antenna attached.  You need to pick the connector with the antenna (For the HP Stream 11, that would be ant_sel=2 in the software below).  The other option is to rip apart the laptop and switch the antenna to the other connector.

Note that these are lwfinger's instructions, giving credit where it is due.  I performed everything below as the root user:

1) First do this:

git clone git://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new.git
cd rtlwifi_new
git checkout rock.new_btcoex
make
sudo make install

Reboot. After the system comes up:
sudo modprobe -rv rtl8723be
sudo modprobe -v rtl8723be ant_sel=1

Now test. If that still does not work, then try

sudo modprobe -rv rtl8723be
sudo modprobe -v rtl8723be ant_sel=2

One or the other should work. Once you know, then add that ant_sel part to the options when rtl8723be is loaded.

2) When you reboot it will not be retained, so now add the following file and text:

You need a file in /etc/modprobe.d/ with the option specified. The recommended naming of that file is 50-rtl8723be.conf with a line "options rtl8723be ant_sel=2". The use of the 50 part is to control when it gets read, and using the driver name in the .conf file name gives you an immediate understanding of what component is being modified. For best reliability, you might want to make the line be "options rtl8723be ant_sel=2 ips=0". It is your homework to learn what that other option does.

I chose to add "options rtl8723be ant_sel=2 ips=0" so power saving is off.  You can experiment with both if you want.  Don't add the quotes to the file.

3) You may lose the wifi again at a kernel update or a Realtek driver update (Assuming Realtek didn't fix the problem).  Therefore keep these instructions in a file somewhere on the laptop.

Top Student
Message 7 of 15 (3,837 Views)

Re: Present status of my issues with HP Stream 11

Hi PJC123

Thanks once again for your time and trouble. That is all absolutely clear and very helpful of you to distil the wisdom from 28 pages into half a page. .. 

Unfortunately I am still missing something, and the clue may be in the fact that after running Ubuntu Windows 10 at first shows wireless disabled?

I have tested with both antennae selected - no difference.

I have not yet found HP user documentation for this version of the Stream - there appear to be older versions - and it does not have a wireless hardware switch. Maybe it is simply disabled? The bluetooth icon goes on and off with aeroplane mode, but so far I have no joy from that either.

After running modprobe, I get a network disconnected message as opposed to the wireless networks available when first booting up.

It is also curious that I have the printer showing up on wireless, when that is connected to the router, but I cannot find it in printer set up. The signal is significantly weaker with antenna 2.

Intern
Message 8 of 15 (3,828 Views)

Since you have the same exact laptop, the only thing different from mine which now works with the WiFi mod, is the Linux distro and kernel. Other than trying Linux Mint 17.3 I am at a loss.
Intern
Message 9 of 15 (3,821 Views)

Or maybe I am assuming you have the same exact laptop since it is Windows 10, 64 bit. Is yours the newest model stream, the model 11-r010nr, and purchased in the USA?
Top Student
Message 10 of 15 (3,816 Views)

Re: Present status of my issues with HP Stream 11

I have no /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8723BE.conf but the intel iwlwifi.conf!

As there is no networking at all on the stream, the compilation was carried out on the Dell Vostro, and then the usb chip used to boot the stream.

Where and when does .conf get initialised?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation