Tutor
24 16 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Laptop WiFi extremly slow and stops working

Folio 9470m
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I just re-installed the OS (Windows 7 64bit) on my Folio 9470m.  The WiFi is so sluggish, it is un-usable.  When I run a speedtest.net with a wired connection, I get 25mbps.  When I run the test with WiFi, it starts out at 25mbps, but drops quickly until the test times out before it gets to 100%.

-The wireless device is Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6235.  The driver version is 15.17.0.1.

-I had just obtained the laptop and didn't use it much before I re-installed the OS.  I believe the WiFi was fine before I re-installed the OS, but I'm not 100% sure.

I'm hoping that this is something simple that I can fix.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark

5 REPLIES 5
Provost Provost
Provost
38205 38025 5805 10091
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Drivers are about the only issue that can be fixed without replacing the card. Here is the driver download page:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5271102&swItemId=ob_146625_1&swEnvOid=406...

Note the instruction to remove prior drivers first. I would uninstall the wireless from device manager, use advasnced uninstall and remove the existing driver from the system and then reload the driver. Download the new driver and keep track of it as you uninstall since obviously once you uninstall you will not have wireless to download the driver with.

If this does not work we need to think about replacement of the card. Have you otherwise installed the chipset and other drivers? 

0 Kudos
Belowground Tutor
Tutor
24 16 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have not installed any chipsets, drivers or software.  I obtained the laptop which is fairly new (it is still under warranty with HP).  I was setup with someone elses info/domain etc. so I re-installed the OS almost right away.

I find it interesting that my laptop has driver version 15.17.0.1 and the most recent version available on HP's site is 15.13.0.2.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
38205 38025 5805 10091
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The chip manufacturer drivers, even if newer, are not always the best to install. You should install the drivers for your laptop model and OS from the HP site and if those give you problems, then install other drivers. 

0 Kudos
Belowground Tutor
Tutor
24 16 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It ended up being my WiFi setup.  I use a Cisco WAP4410N.  My new work HP laptop has the same issue at my home.  I took both laptops to work and they work fine.

On the Cisco WAP4410N at home I have a 2nd SSID setup for WEP.  If I connect my laptops to that, they work fine. 

I'm going to try a few things.  1 - defaulting the WAP4410N, updating firmware and setting it back up.  2 - Try a Cisco WAP121 that I have.

Thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos
Belowground Tutor
Tutor
24 16 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm still a little stumped.  I factory defaulted my router and WAP and still have issues.  My laptop can connect just fine using my WEP SSID, but when I connect to my WPA2-Personal SSID, the connection speed is horrible.  I tried setting up another WAP and am having the same issue with that as well.  I figure it is a WAP setting having to do with WPA2-Personal or Wireless N that I am doing wrong.  Or it is something in the laptop.  But since the laptop works fine at other locations (where I assume they are doing WPA2) I suspect the laptop is ok.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation