Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv7-6b63us
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop does not show the 5G version of my network as being available, just the 2.4 version.  My other devices do show the 5G version.  Since my laptop only shows the 2.4 version, my connection speed is limited.  Is there a way to get my laptop to recognize the 5G network?  

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@bgillespie1 

The behavior is expected.  The Wireless is not 5GHz.

Set your router to broadcast both 5GHz and 2.4GHz.

• Adjust the router settings to broadcast on both 5GHz AND the 2.4GHz bandwidth.
  • Give the 2.4GHz bandwidth a different SSID name. 

For example,

If your 5GHz network is named MyFancy5GHzNetwork, 

name the 2.4 network SSID as MyFancy24GHzNetwork.  

Connect your computer to the 2.4GHz bandwidth SSID.

OR

If you can do so, you may choose to connect with Ethernet to your network.

Details

A6S16UAR HP Pavilion dv7-6b63us Entertainment Notebook PC

Product introduced Fall 2011

Single antenna wireless module options as listed in the Service Guide - Pages 56-67

Specifications 

Network Card
10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
Wireless Connectivity
  • 802.11b/g/n WLAN with WiDi (36)

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Device

Clarification of terms and "what the device can do" (Specifications)

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

HP Pavilion dv7-6b63us Entertainment Notebook PC

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

My router is broadcasting on both 5GHz and 2.4GHz, and my computer is connected to 2.4GHz.  It does not appear that it is capable of connecting to 5GHz.  Reading through some of the posts, I think I'm seeing that there may be a possibility of using a wireless adapter in a USB port to enable a 5GHz connection.  Is this true, and if so, what sort of wireless adapter would I need and where could I get it?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.