Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

Since I bought my laptop which was few months ago, I have been having a problem with the wireless connection.

The laptop has been losing wireless connection, even though other devices will still be connected and having no problems.

The problem has been happening more and more frequently and no matter what I do, it keeps on happening.

Troubleshooting does not work, I also tried going the properties of the WIFI adapter in Device Management and removing the check mark beside : ALLOW THE COMPUTER TO TURN OFF THIS DEVICE TO SAVE POWER .

Any ideas ?

Karma 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Karma13,

I reviewed the post. It is great to have you back. You have displayed brilliant efforts, great attitude and commendable technical competence to try and resolve the issue. Kudos to you for a job well done. 🙂

As @Jeet_singh is out for the day, I am responding on his behalf and taking over from here.

Yes try updating the drivers and check if the issue gets resolved. Perform the other relevant steps also mentioned in the link. If it still does not work then try these steps:

1) Start Menu > Control Panel > Administrative Tools for the Classic View (long list of items) or Start Menu > Control Panel > > Performance and Maintenace > Administrative Tools for Category View (colorful, big icons).

2) Double-click Services.

3) In this window, click the Name column header (where is says “Name”) to sort by the service name.

4) Scroll down to find WLAN AutoConfig service. Stop the service first. Then restart it and make sure that it runs automatically.

5) Make sure that dependency services are also stopped and restarted.

If the issue still persists, Try assigning a static IP and check if the issue still persists.Try contacting your internet service provider for assistance.

• Control Panel > set icon view > Network and Sharing >
  • Left-Click on your active WiFi connection (in blue next to the word "Connections" >
  • In WiFi Status >> Click on Properties >
  • In WiFi Properties >> Scroll down the middle section and look for "Internet Protocol Version 4" >
  • Left-Click to Highlight the selection > click Properties >
  • Click to select "Use the following IP Address:" >
  • Enter your IP address, subnet mask, and gateway information
  • Click to select "Use the following DNS server addresses"
  • Click OK to save and exit
  • Restart / Reboot the computer and check if the issue persists.

Now check if the issue gets fixed. If it still doesn't work, A great workaround would be is to buy a USB wireless dongle from Best Buy or Staples or from Amazon or e-bay and plug it to one of the USB ports of the computer. Then connect it to the router to go online. It is very economical and cost-effective and can be ordered for a song.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂 Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @Karma13,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips!

I understand that you need assistance with the wireless connection dropping randomly on your notebook. I’ll be glad to assist you with this.

We need to isolate it to being hardware or software related first.

For better clarity, I would require more information regarding this.

• When did this first begin?
  • Could you provide me with the exact model of the PC? Use this link to find it:  https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03754824  (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).
  • Did it happen after a software or windows update?

Please try these steps first.   

1. Open CMD with Administrator

2. Type:  sc config storsvc type= own 

( this resets this service to its default state )

3. Restart the PC.

4. Check if this fixes it.

If it does not, please visit this link for further support: HP PCs - Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet (Windows 10)

Here's a related HP Forums post that seems to have helped others: Click here

Finally, please update the bios, chipset and wifi drivers from this link: http://hp.com/drivers Please select the country and follow the on-screen instructions.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you Jeet for your reply and help.

The product number is: Z3D89EA#UUW and the model name is: 15-ay100no

I guess the problem started when I started using the labtop. To be honest, my ex boyfriend worked in IT and he told me that he upgraded the software when I first bought the labtop.

I tried following these steps-

(1. Open CMD with Administrator 2. Type:  sc config storsvc type= own 

( this resets this service to its default state ) 3. Restart the PC. 4. Check if this fixes it- BUT it responded with 

[SC] OpenService FAILED 5:

Access is denied.

I will be testing how it goes after updating the drivers and let you know if it works or not.

HP Recommended

Hi @Karma13,

I reviewed the post. It is great to have you back. You have displayed brilliant efforts, great attitude and commendable technical competence to try and resolve the issue. Kudos to you for a job well done. 🙂

As @Jeet_singh is out for the day, I am responding on his behalf and taking over from here.

Yes try updating the drivers and check if the issue gets resolved. Perform the other relevant steps also mentioned in the link. If it still does not work then try these steps:

1) Start Menu > Control Panel > Administrative Tools for the Classic View (long list of items) or Start Menu > Control Panel > > Performance and Maintenace > Administrative Tools for Category View (colorful, big icons).

2) Double-click Services.

3) In this window, click the Name column header (where is says “Name”) to sort by the service name.

4) Scroll down to find WLAN AutoConfig service. Stop the service first. Then restart it and make sure that it runs automatically.

5) Make sure that dependency services are also stopped and restarted.

If the issue still persists, Try assigning a static IP and check if the issue still persists.Try contacting your internet service provider for assistance.

• Control Panel > set icon view > Network and Sharing >
  • Left-Click on your active WiFi connection (in blue next to the word "Connections" >
  • In WiFi Status >> Click on Properties >
  • In WiFi Properties >> Scroll down the middle section and look for "Internet Protocol Version 4" >
  • Left-Click to Highlight the selection > click Properties >
  • Click to select "Use the following IP Address:" >
  • Enter your IP address, subnet mask, and gateway information
  • Click to select "Use the following DNS server addresses"
  • Click OK to save and exit
  • Restart / Reboot the computer and check if the issue persists.

Now check if the issue gets fixed. If it still doesn't work, A great workaround would be is to buy a USB wireless dongle from Best Buy or Staples or from Amazon or e-bay and plug it to one of the USB ports of the computer. Then connect it to the router to go online. It is very economical and cost-effective and can be ordered for a song.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂 Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Apparently it was an IP problem. Thank you so much for the great help!

HP Recommended

Hi! @Karma13, I am the Mr.Robot. It looks like you were interacting with @DavidSMP, but he is out of the office today, so I'll take over from here.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned it was an IP problem and after trying out the steps your issue got resolved.

I'm glad your issue got resolved.

If you have any queries in future related to any HP products, you can always reach out to us.

We will try our best to help you out.

Take care,

Have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.