Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
Level 1
3 2 1 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Solved!

Laptop won't find my wireless signal. All signals in the area show up but not ours.

HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My laptop is not finding our wireless connection, it picks up our neighbours but not ours. Every other device in the house hasn't had a problem with this, just this laptop. Have tried updating the device driver to no avail.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
9,855 9,844 922 1,563
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, @Taupha - Hope you are well 🙂

Welcome to the HP support forums! I would be glad to assist you with the notebook issue 🙂

I see that your notebook cannot find your network, but is able to find all other networks. It looks like an issue with the router and I would be glad to help you with this!

First, let’s try rebooting the router. Unplug the router power cable, wait for 10-15 seconds and then plug the power back. That should fix the issue in most cases.

But, if the issue persists, then we will have to access your router and change the settings. Most likely, the network discoverability could be turned off. You will have to turn on the setting and also we can try changing the router channels. Let me know if you need specific steps. But, I have seen this type of issues getting resolved after rebooting the router.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
3 2 1 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The router finds the signal for every other device in the house. The only one that isn't finding it is the HP laptop and it finds every other signal in the neighbourhood, just not ours. Unplugging the router for a while didn't do anything, we've tried rebooting the router and the modem as well, nothing

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
8,121 8,112 486 944
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Taupha, I am the @Chimney_83. It looks like you were interacting with @Dvortex, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

I understand that your computer is unable to detect your wireless network. For me to be able to assist you, I would like to know if any device at your house is able to connect to your router?

If any of the devices are connected to your router, please get the default gateway of the router.

To get the default gateway. 

Open a command prompt and enter ipconfig. 

Enter the default gateway captured on any web browser on the computer that is connected to the router.

Login to the router page. (you would need the credentials provided by your router manufacturer.)

Make sure SSID broadcast is enabled. 

Please give different names to 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks, if you are using a dual band router. 

Our computers will only work in 2.4 Ghz. 

If you are not sure how to check the settings on the router. Please check with your router manufacturer for assistance. 

Keep me posted. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

Highlighted
Author
Level 1
3 2 1 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for all the help. I managed to get it working again by turning off the laptop, unplugging both the modem and the router, plugging them back in again after a few minutes then turning on the computer again ( which, by the way, I had done a few times already!) Anyway, thanks again for the help. Hopefully I won't need to talk to you again but hey, with the luck I have with this particular laptop you just never know!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
8,121 8,112 486 944
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and glad that the issue is resolved by performing the procedure suggested in the first reply. 

Please do post your technical queries on our Forums for assistance. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation