Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion x360 14-cd0520sa
Linux

I have no wireless connectivity.

Basically, the same as a number of other people, however, my device seems to have a Realtek wireless adapter, not Intel. I am not able to do anty screen shots to post here, as I can not get the device in question on line. The device has Enable Networking ticked etc. I just need the correct driver for the machine, thanks.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi

Pity you could not give the OS and Adapter by name, however......

Credit to Bapoumba, Ubuntu Forums
When troubleshooting wireless, it's important that your system is fully updated by opening a terminal, CTRL+ALT+T. Using a wired internet connection, please run:
Code:

sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade

and reboot if necessary.

If the issues persist, it is recommended that you install pastebinit, by running:
Code:

sudo apt install pastebinit

This will enable the wireless script to, upon your approval, upload the obtained data to pastebin, creating at the same time a link to it in your terminal, permitting you to paste it to a forum thread.

Once that's done, download and run the wireless info script, which will gather information to help diagnose your system. You can run it using this command:
Code:

wget -N -t 5 -T 10 https://github.com/UbuntuForums/wireless-info/raw/master/wireless-info && \
chmod +x wireless-info && \
./wireless-info

It will create the file "wireless-info.txt" at the location it is run from, and depending on its size, an additional archive called "wireless-info.tar.gz". If you prefer, you can post the file directly to pastebin yourself. Sensitive information like MAC addresses and WPA/WEP keys are masked automatically.

If you aren't able to connect to the internet with the affected system, including via a wired connection, just navigate to this link and follow the instructions there on how to the run wireless script without an internet connection.

HP Recommended
Realtek RTL8822BE 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter (MU-MIMO supported)  924813-855
Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter (MU-MIMO supported)  L17365-00

HP Recommended

Hi, I have a bootable Ubuntu 16.04 LTS USB which I have used on the machine I am typing on [obviously this works....] and on the new machine, which does not. As for the Adapter, I am know only it is a RealTek, but am not sure how to find out the detial of the card. I was hoping the HP Help would know that.

I will try the stuff you've suggested as well, and see what happens.

Thanks

HP Recommended

ls

lshw

lsusb

lsmod

lspci

hwinfo

iwlist

ifconfig -a

with sudo maybe?

HP Recommended

Hi, Thanks for your help so far.

One thing to make clear is that I am really a "user" of Ubuntu, rather than a "coder" of "command line expert". I can follow instructions, but just saying "perhaps sudo" doesn't help me. I undestand what sudo is, but...... just writing a list of script doesn't mean anything as I don't know what to do with it. I know this is my deficiency rathan than anybody elses, but I need "follow these instructions" rather than general pointers.

P.

HP Recommended

I've done the following : 

lspci -knn | grep Net -A3; rfkill list

and have this....

0: hci0: Bluetooth
soft blocked: no
hard blocked: no

1: acer-wireless: Wireless LAN
soft blocked: yes
hard blocked: no

Any help?

HP Recommended

Follow these instructions (Credit to Bapoumba, Ubuntu Forums)...

When troubleshooting wireless, it's important that your system is fully updated by opening a terminal, CTRL+ALT+T. Using a wired internet connection, please run:
Code:

sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade

and reboot if necessary.

If the issues persist, it is recommended that you install pastebinit, by running:
Code:

sudo apt install pastebinit

This will enable the wireless script to, upon your approval, upload the obtained data to pastebin, creating at the same time a link to it in your terminal, permitting you to paste it to a forum thread.

Once that's done, download and run the wireless info script, which will gather information to help diagnose your system. You can run it using this command:
Code:

wget -N -t 5 -T 10 https://github.com/UbuntuForums/wireless-info/raw/master/wireless-info && \
chmod +x wireless-info && \
./wireless-info

It will create the file "wireless-info.txt" at the location it is run from, and depending on its size, an additional archive called "wireless-info.tar.gz". If you prefer, you can post the file directly to pastebin yourself. Sensitive information like MAC addresses and WPA/WEP keys are masked automatically.

If you aren't able to connect to the internet with the affected system, including via a wired connection, just navigate to this link and follow the instructions there on how to the run wireless script without an internet connection.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Where is the link on how to do it without the internet connection? Sorry, I may be being very stupid here, but this is not clear to me.

P.

HP Recommended

So have you done the update and upgrade?

How are you currently posting?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.