Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart Plus B209a-m
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

Hi so I’m trying to connect my printer to our network and it will not pull up our network. It keeps throwing out an error and saying that the printer attempted to join the network but is not receiving data and this may be caused by a MAC address filter. I contacted my wireless network company and they stated there was no MAC address filter through my WiFi network. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@CSipe 

I can offer just limited advice on the subject...

The error is likely the result the software not have an exact answer to what it is seeing and throws the closest error in its list.   It's wrong in this case.

Printer / Product introduced in 2009

From the Specifications

Input/output

• USB port: Rear hi-speed, front PictBridge port for storage devices and optional HP USB Bluetooth adaptor
  • Memory card slots: Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, Memory Stick Select, Memory Stick Magic Gate, Memory Stick Duo or Duo Pro (adapter optional), or Memory Stick Micro (adapter required), MultiMediaCard (MMC), MMC Plus, Secure MultiMedia Card, MMC Mobile (RS-MMC; adapter required), Secure Digital (SD), Secure Digital Mini, Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC), TransFlash MicroSD Card (adapter required), or xD-Picture card
  • Wireless network: 802.11 supported
  • Bluetooth wireless printing: Supported (Windows Vista or Windows XP and either the Microsoft Bluetooth® Protocol Stack or the Widcomm Bluetooth® Protocol Stack required)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wireless" is supported - I would guess this is the old Wireless "G" option.

If your router can't handle the old protocol, it will refuse the connection request from the printer.  This is unlikely, routers are usually smart enough to deal with old tech.   Log into the router and check what it can do.

Assuming the router can handle the connection request, log into the router and check the router logs to see what the router thinks is happening.  If the router sees the request at all, there might / should be a checkpoint / log entry.

Honestly, I don't have any idea what the old Bluetooth adapter is capable of supporting - I don't have anything of this vintage to compare.  Information is likely on the net if you need / want it.

If the printer is at least getting an IP address from the router,

Consider adding the printer to the network using the IP address and TCP/IP

Method – Add printer using TCP/IP

Please try adding the printer using the printer’s IP address

Find the IP Address of the printer on the Printer control panel (touch Wireless button)

Control Panel > icon view Devices and Printers

Click in the top ribbon, Add a Printer

Wait till the menu starts…
Select / Click The printer that I want isn’t listed
Select / Click Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname

Select / Click Next
Device Type > Select in Drop-Down Menu:  TCP/IP Device

Hostname or IP Address > Enter the IP Address of the printer

(Skip Port Name)

Select / Click Next

Complete for any additional information

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What else?

Try Restarting everything, including that router.

References

Wireless printing center

Wireless printing center – Replacing your Wireless Router

Reference and Resources – (More) Places to find help, solve problems, and learn how to use your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Photosmart Plus All-in-One Printer - B209a

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.