Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 15-ay011nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

MY HP Notebook 15-ay011nr cannot connect to my wireless network.  I have to use a cable to access  the internet.  Others on this wireless network have no problems.  When I try, it says it cannot find any woreless networks.  I've pressed troubleshooting button, and it suggested a possiible problem with my wireless network adapter.  I have an Intel dual band wireless AC-3165.  When I checked it, it said it was working properly.  I pressed the button to update the driver, and it said the best drivers are already installed.

What else can I try???? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings @AnnieNeroda

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that your computer is not detecting any wireless networks, is that right?

Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own.

Not to worry, I will be glad to assist you.

Have you made any hardware changes on your computer?

Please download the wireless driver from this link

Do not install it.

Open device manager by doing a right-click on the Windows button. 

Expand network adapters and uninstall the wireless adapter listed there.  

Delete the driver if prompted during uninstall process. 

Restart your computer. 

Install the downloaded wireless driver.

This should resolve the issue you are facing. 

If the issue persists, right-click on the network icon and run network troubleshooter. 

Keep me posted. Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

One more piece of information.  I dug deeper into the netwrk adapter entries, and I found messages from 10 days ago saying that the device requires "further installation."  I don't know what that means, nor what I need to do about it.  Can you help?  Should I uninstall it?  There's a button for that ......

HP Recommended

Greetings @AnnieNeroda

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that your computer is not detecting any wireless networks, is that right?

Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own.

Not to worry, I will be glad to assist you.

Have you made any hardware changes on your computer?

Please download the wireless driver from this link

Do not install it.

Open device manager by doing a right-click on the Windows button. 

Expand network adapters and uninstall the wireless adapter listed there.  

Delete the driver if prompted during uninstall process. 

Restart your computer. 

Install the downloaded wireless driver.

This should resolve the issue you are facing. 

If the issue persists, right-click on the network icon and run network troubleshooter. 

Keep me posted. Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi

If you have had the W10 update recently, you may have had a change in the firewall status.

Possible solution....

Windows Defender Security Centre;

Restore Firewall to Default;

Then running the Network Troubleshooter.

If, as you say, all is installed correctly then this should help to show that....

This short script is to gather information on some parts of your system
OS, Networking Hardware and Software etc.

Copy and paste the section between the ~~~~ lines, and paste into NotePad.
Save as PN.bat somewhere easily accessible. Double click to Run

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@ECHO OFF

systeminfo
PowerShell -Command "Get-NetAdapter"
PowerShell -Command "Get-NetAdapter -Name * | Format-Table -View Driver"
PowerShell -Command "GIP -Detailed"
PowerShell -Command "Test-NetConnection"
PAUSE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you run that and look for info similar to this

Name                      InterfaceDescription                    ifIndex Status       MacAddress             LinkSpeed
----                      --------------------                    ------- ------       ----------             ---------
Ethernet                  Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller             9 Disconnected           0 bps
Bluetooth Network Conn... Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Netw...      17 Disconnected         3 Mbps
WiFi                      Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi A...      18 Up                   72 Mbps

Name                      InterfaceDescription                     DriverFileName  DriverDate DriverVersion NdisVersion
----                      --------------------                     --------------  ---------- ------------- -----------
Ethernet                  Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller        rt640x64.sys    2015-04-06 9.1.406.2015  6.40
Bluetooth Network Conn... Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) bthpan.sys      2006-06-21 10.0.16299.15 6.30
WiFi                      Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi Ad... rtwlane.sys     2017-05-03 2023.54.33... 6.70

Please run it twice, with Ethernet cable and without Ethernet cable.

Then that lists the hardware and drivers installed, and then it a configuration problem and not a driver issue.

If in doubt plase ask.

HP Recommended

Thank you, Chimney_83.  I am sending you this message over my wireless connection!  That worked.  I'm so glad.

HP Recommended

@AnnieNeroda

Hi,

as @Chimney_83is out of the office, I'm replying to you. 

I'm glad to know that the issue is fixed and truly appreciate your efforts. 

Take care! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.