Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

My laptop keeps disconnecting with Wifi, if restarted it will connect for sometime and then either there will be an exclamation mark or sometimes no Wifi logo in the tray icon.

Tried formatting the laptop and updating the driver through device manager but no effect.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @AmitQatar 

Welcome !

• If your computer has problems connecting to a wireless network, issues with speed or dropped connections, then try this simple walk through here (there are many steps to try) >>> =>  Help with wireless troubleshooting
  • Do you have other devices nearby? If YES, do they experience the same issue ?
Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

If the above did not help

and

In order to rule out driver issue or wi-fi adapter issue,

you can purchase this (or another similar) USB wi-fi dongle (wifi adapter) >> https://www.amazon.com/wi-fi-dongles/b?ie=UTF8&node=13983791

The price is around 10 $

After you purchase and receive this device but before you use the USB wi-fi dongle,

you should go to your PC's Control Panel -> Network and sharing center -> change adapter settings

Select the built-in Wi-Fi Adapter and disable it

Finally, insert (plug in) the USB Wi-Fi dongle, let Windows automatically install its drivers

Start using it, connect to the local Wi-Fi network and explore if you face difficulties with the wi-fi

By doing this, you use different hardware device, different drivers and you do it to rule out PC issues.

If it works, you can continue with this device and problem solved for less than 10$

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

I do have other devices connected to the same WiFi and they are working just fine.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your update.

Please, try the steps mentioned above - either troubleshooting as per HP article or the external USB dongle.

Keep me posted.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.