Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Realtek RTL8188EE adapter wifi
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My WiFi adapter was quite slow, I researched the issue, made a few tweaks and found a substantial increase in WiFi transmission speed by tweaking a few adapter settings.  Below I'll show you how and what settings I changed.

How to get to the settings in Windows 10

Because youur operating system may be configured differently, I'll use the most general means to get to this setting, if you know how to get to your WiFi adapter settings, skip this part and goto to part B, otherwise click on "All Settings";

A. Getting to the Windows 10, "All Settings" page

1. this link shows six different ways to get to "All Settings and will open in a seperate Window/tab":  http://www.digitalcitizen.life/introducing-windows-10-ways-open-settings
  2. In All Settings, click the third group from the right on the top row titled "Network and Internet, WiFi, Airplane Mode, VPN"
  3. You'll now be in "Network & Internet" page and should be on the WiFi tab of this page.  In the left column, assure you're on the WiFi tab
  4. On the right side, scroll down until you get to the section titled "Related Settings".  The first option after that should be "Change Adapter Options", click this setting.
  5. Right-Click on the WiFi listing 
  6. In the right-click menu (the Context Menu) click on "Properties"
  7. In the upper right area,  under and to the right of the adapter name box, click "Configure..."
  8. In this dialog box, select the "Advanced" tab at the top of the dialog.

We're now in the area whereby we can change the WiFi adapter's settings

B.  My Settings, ALL

.....I'm going to list all of my settings due to my adapter working well at every public HotSpot I use..    First,  I'll show the driver version I'm using and obtained here, from HP:

WiFi_AdapterDriverVersion.JPG

The settings I'm using increaed my speed, bring up a browser page everytime I log into public WiFi (so I can log into the provider's WiFi) and I've never lost connection illogically (further on this below).  First I'll display the settings I know I changed, then I'll show all of my settings:

1. Beacon Interval: from 100 to 50
  2. Roaming Agressiveness:  6. - Highest
  3. Transmit Power:  5. - Highest

Now I'll list all of my setting values:

1. 802.11d:   Disabled
  2. 802.11n channnel width for 2.4GHz: Auto
  3. ARP offload for WoWLAN: Disabled
  4. Beacon Interval: 50
  5. Fat Channel Intolerant: Disabled
  6. GTK rekeying for WoLAN: Disabled
  7. HT mode: Enabled
  8. Mixed Mode Protection: CTS-to-self Enabled
  9. NS offload for WoLAN: Enabled
  10. Preamble Mode: Short & Long
  11. Roaming Agressiveness: 6. - Highest
  12. Sleep on WoLAN disconnect: Disabled
  13. Transmit Power: 5. - Highest
  14. Wireless Mode: 3. 802.11 b/g

*With resepct to loosing connectivity

Know that when you're at a public location which supplies WiFi, they provide it only for a period of time, usually 1 - 2 hours and thereafter you have to reconnect.  This is called your lease-time and has nothing to do with your WiFi adapter.  If you want to know when your lease began and when it expires, you can determine such by my following instructions.   Here is how you can check your lease information (among other WiFi concepts):

1. In your Start menu, find the "Run..." menu item and click/open it
  2. Type the following in the text box "cmd" and press ENTER
  3. In this command console window, type: "ipconfig /all" then press ENTER
  4. Scroll up in the results until you find the area labeled "Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi"
  5. Under this area, look for "Lease Obtained" and right after that entry "Lease Expires"

- This tells you when you connected and when you'll be automatically disconnected, at which point you have to log back onto the public WiFi.  Hence often times people believe their WiFi card or settings are bad when it is actually a logical disconnect by the public WiFi provider.

I hope this helps, the only aspect that still confuses me is why I can't change the wireless mode to "b/g/n" instead of "b/g" since this is a "b/g/n" adapeter.  HP or anyone have anything on this?  Thanks and everyone have a great day!

Glenn T. Kitchen

GTK Computer Services Inc.

[Personal Information Removed]

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.