Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Chrome OS

All of a sudden anytime I try to login to my wifi, it says out of range. So I did a factory reset and the msg came up saying damaged or missing. What do I do. I don't have a recovery disk. I shouldn't have to rebuy Chrome os. Right?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello @NicoleShivaBart,

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

I'd suggest reinstalling Chrome OS using the Chromebook Recovery Utility. You don't have to repurchase Chrome OS but you will need another computer as well as a USB at least 8 GB in size:

1. Open Google Chrome on a Windows or Mac device
  2. Add the following extension: Chromebook Recovery Utility - Chrome Web Store (google.com)
  3. Launch the extension / app 
  4. If prompted for the model number of the device, enter the model
    1. Model name/number should be on the bottom of the Chromebook or on the original box
  5. Plug in your USB flash drive or SD card, and then follow the on-screen prompts to download Chrome OS to your removable media.

6. Once completed, remove the removable media
  7. With the Chromebook powered on, hold Esc+Refresh on the keyboard, then press the Power button to reboot in recovery mode.

8. At the Chrome OS is missing or damaged screen, insert the SD card or USB drive containing Chrome OS. You should then go through the operating system's installation process.

Adapted from Lifewire

The Recovery Media Utility has poor reviews on the store so I don't have too high hopes but try it out and let us know how it goes.

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.