Did you mean: 
NicoleShivaBart
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

My chromebook says chrome is damaged or missing

HP Recommended
Chrome OS

All of a sudden anytime I try to login to my wifi, it says out of range. So I did a factory reset and the msg came up saying damaged or missing. What do I do. I don't have a recovery disk. I shouldn't have to rebuy Chrome os. Right?

Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1
EddyK
Level 11
Level 11
2,977 2,911 395 1,275
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @NicoleShivaBart,

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

I'd suggest reinstalling Chrome OS using the Chromebook Recovery Utility. You don't have to repurchase Chrome OS but you will need another computer as well as a USB at least 8 GB in size:

1. Open Google Chrome on a Windows or Mac device
  2. Add the following extension: Chromebook Recovery Utility - Chrome Web Store (google.com)
  3. Launch the extension / app 
  4. If prompted for the model number of the device, enter the model
    1. Model name/number should be on the bottom of the Chromebook or on the original box
  5. Plug in your USB flash drive or SD card, and then follow the on-screen prompts to download Chrome OS to your removable media.

6. Once completed, remove the removable media
  7. With the Chromebook powered on, hold Esc+Refresh on the keyboard, then press the Power button to reboot in recovery mode.

8. At the Chrome OS is missing or damaged screen, insert the SD card or USB drive containing Chrome OS. You should then go through the operating system's installation process.

Adapted from Lifewire

The Recovery Media Utility has poor reviews on the store so I don't have too high hopes but try it out and let us know how it goes.

I am currently preoccupied with both academic and professional priorities so please note that there may be a delay in my responses. Please take my advice with a pinch of salt and while I will try my best to help you with my limited knowledge, I may not be able to completely solve your issue. Thank you for your understanding.

You can show your appreciation for my post by clicking the blue thumbs up icon.
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation