Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Compaq CQ58-241SO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

trying to reinstall and breathe life into an old laptop for a friend of mine. Installing a fresh win10 worked fine, all is well, apart from the fact that the Ethernet NIC is not shown in device manager. It has off and on been acting up but not to the point of disappearing altogether. I've seen reports online of leaving the laptop without power, removing the laptop internal battery, and that is about the only thing I haven't tried so far. Installing the relevant drivers works fine, but once done the installer pukes with the error that no compatible hardware is found. The NIC was found and presented to the OS while running win8. The Bios also has a non editable entry saying factory installed OS win8.

Booting on a Linux stick, everything works just fine, so there's no hardware issue with the port, per-se.

There's also some resource conflict on one pci-pci bridge, but I have no idea which hardware component it pertains to, or if it's relevant.

Any tip? What info could I provide to help anyone else come up with an idea?

Regards,

/Dennis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Problem Solved:

Reverting BIOS back to F.27 from F.29 solved the issue.

As to why it worked with Linux, any flavour, even on F.29, is something I'm not in the mood to investigate fully, but either way, problem solved. Both issues got sorted at once, they were obviously connected, the resource conflict, and the NIC not showing up in device manager. No other changes were made, other than reverting the BIOS back one version.

/Dennis

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Problem Solved:

Reverting BIOS back to F.27 from F.29 solved the issue.

As to why it worked with Linux, any flavour, even on F.29, is something I'm not in the mood to investigate fully, but either way, problem solved. Both issues got sorted at once, they were obviously connected, the resource conflict, and the NIC not showing up in device manager. No other changes were made, other than reverting the BIOS back one version.

/Dennis

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.