Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion 17-e054sr
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi.
I need to replace the Ralink RT3290 Wi-Fi adapter on my Pavillion 17 laptop because the adapter is failing (dropping the connection continuously) and if he works - works with so slow the speed.
I have tried everything possible from updating the bios to switching off the power management check box, updating the driver, blocking all other networks through the command prompt.

Nothing has worked so far.

Can someone suggest a replacement for this adapter to some more new network adapter with 802.11ac standard?

Thanks in advance.
Artem.P01207-103618.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Looking forward to reading the results of your notebook's wifi card upgrade project.

Here are the specs on the Intel 7260 AC card...

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 Product Specifications

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

I can't find any specs on your notebook. 

Does it have an Intel or AMD processor?   What model is the processor?

The processor/chipset matters as to what brand wifi card you can install.

HP Recommended

Hi.
Processor: Intel Core i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz  2.60 GHz

HP Recommended

Hi:

Since your notebook has an Intel core processor, you can upgrade to this model wifi adapter provided there are two wifi antenna cables connected to the Ralink card in your notebook.

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0    HP Part # 710661-001

Before installing the Intel card, uninstall the Ralink wifi and bluetooth devices in the device manager, and check the uninstall driver boxes.

If there is any Ralink bluetooth software in the Windows control panel, uninstall that too.

Shut down, unplug the PC, remove the battery and install the Intel card.

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the wifi card removal and replacement procedure...

c04069163 (hp.com)

You can get the latest wifi and bluetooth drivers directly from Intel at the link below.

Downloads for Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot for your help.
I will buy this card and try the replacement card.
And let you know about the result.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Looking forward to reading the results of your notebook's wifi card upgrade project.

Here are the specs on the Intel 7260 AC card...

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 Product Specifications

HP Recommended

Hi men.
Everything works fine.
The new card works absolutely perfectly at high speed.

HP Recommended

That's great news, and thanks for letting us know how the wifi card upgrade project went.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.