Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
Level 1
5 2 1 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Network driver not working; Can't install or roll back (Realtek RTL8188EE)

HP Recommended
Pavilion 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Last week Windows Update installed an update for the Realtek network driver. Its Driver Date is 23 October 2016.

A couple hours after installation and a restart, the driver stopped working. In Device Manager it had the Code 45 error 'Currently the hardware device is not connected to the computer'. I managed to fix it by doing a System Restore to undo the update.

Later that day, my PC installed the update again and I have had no problems until today. System Restore did not work this time around. I have tried the following:

-Downloaded drivers from HP Support (2014 and early 2016 versions)

-Attempted to install one of them and restarted the PC

-Update driver via Device Manager and manually selecting earlier versions (Feb 2016 and March 2016))

-Roll back the driver (in normal and safe mode)

The problem I have is that the drivers I've downloaded are not installing. I check the driver date after restarting and it's still the October 2016 version. I then tried to uninstall the driver (I did not select Delete the driver software for this device) and try again however it no longer appeared in the Device Manager (Show hidden devices was checked), suggesting that it didn't actually install the driver. Also, the installation dialog box never said it finished installing, it only showed a progress bar and then close after one minute. In the end I had to use System Restore to recover the driver.

I tried to Roll back the driver, selected 'My apps don't work with this driver' and clicked Yes. After that nothing happens. The Roll Back driver option doesn't grey out. I wait a few minutes and still no response. I restart the PC and nothing changed. I tried this in Safe Mode but I get the same result.

Is there anything else worth trying? If I select Delete the driver software for this device upon uninstalling the driver, what would happen?

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
8,121 8,112 486 944
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings @TTYTOM,

Thanks for the post. 

I understand you are facing an issue with the wireless card on the computer. Happy to help.

Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own.

Have you tried using HP Support Assistant or Windows troubleshooter?

Please check if the wireless adapter is enabled in device manager (check if there are any errors)

Open network and sharing center by doing right-click on the network icon the taskbar. 

On the network and sharing center screen, select the option on the left - change adapter settings.

This would display the network adapters on the computer. 

Right-click on the wireless adapter and check if it is enabled and try to connect to your network. 

Please uninstall the wireless adapter listed in device manager, delete the driver when prompted. (do worry when you select to delete the driver. Upon restart, the computer a generic driver will be installed automatically.)

Restart the computer couple times and install the driver from this link.

For other troubleshooting steps, refer to this HP Article

Run HP Support Assistant to check if all the other drivers are updated on the computer. 

Let me know how it goes. 

Please click ‘Accepted Solution’ on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the ‘Thumbs Up’ Icon below.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation