Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp pavilion g6 1001-ev
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello, I would like to buy a pair of wireless bluetooth earbuds.
The problem is that my old pc (10-year old laptop)has 3.0 bluetooth version while the earbuds require 5.0.

what is the best way to make it work and   minimize any issues that may come up(connectivity issues,audio lag etc.)

1)upgrade the hardware by replacing the bluetooth 3.0 board to a 5.0 one or there might be a driver compatibility issue, I guess?

2)buy a usb bluetooth adapter or there is a chance for a contradiction between the Bluetooth driver available for this OS ?
3)buy bluetooth transmitter/receiver and work on existing OS (windows 7) after disabling laptop's bluetooth device in BIOS?
4)upgrade to windows 10 and buy a BT transmitter/receiver?

I believe 3) or 4) are the most  feasible ways to make it work.

my laptop's manuals
https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-g6-1000-notebook-pc-series/5046257/model/5059929/ma... 

specs
CPU:intel pentium p6200 3MB L3 Cache,2.13GHz
ram:3GB DDR3
HDD:SATA 5400 rpm 320GB
video graphics:Intel HD integrated graphics

Product number:LH746EA#B1A

I appreciate your help.Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi:

Whatever you choose to do, it must be done with an external USB bluetooth adapter.

Your notebook has what is known as a BIOS whitelist which prevents the installation of any wifi adapter that did not originally come with your notebook.

Bluetooth is a function of the wifi adapter.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your answer. 

1)Could you tell me which of the above-mentioned ways might increase the chances of making it work?

2)I know that if you want to reduce the lag of bluetooth audio transmission you need aptX codec support for both the receiving and transmitting device.Some earbuds support the AptX codec.Windows 7 doesn't have an inbuilt Bluetooth Hardware Aptx.  Hence, should I choose an apt-x enabled adapter/transmitter-receiver?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.