LAL Top Student
Top Student
7 4 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

New Laptop causes internet speed to severely slow down when connected to the wireless network

N3Y36UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently purchased this new laptop.  It came with Win 10, 64 bit.  When the laptop is NOT connected to the Wireless network, my other devices work well.  My iPad, for instance, will have a download speed of approximately 11 Mbps and an upload speed of approximately 1.0 Mbps.  This is acceptable to me.

As soon as I connect the new laptop to the wireless network, I get a slow speed not only on the laptop, but all of my other devices.  My iPad download speed drops to approximately 4 Mbps and an upload speed of approximately 0.5 Mbps.

I have changed my Update Advanced Settings and have turned off "Updates from more than one place".

I also turned off Windows Defender and installed McAffee Internet Security Suite.  I already had installed Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro.

This problem came to light when I changed internet providers.  My previous provider promised 60 Mbps, but I was never able to get more than 30-40.  I wasn't happy about that, but the problem with my laptop was not clear. 

I have an old laptop, an Acer, that I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10.  That laptop does not cause the same problem.

2 REPLIES 2
Associate Professor
Associate Professor
1154 1151 69 140
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

New Laptop causes internet speed to severely slow down when connected to the wireless network

Hi,

Heres something you could do http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03460887

installing HitmanPro Malwarebytes and McAfee at the same time will make your computer vulnerable to viruses! McAfee will do!

"Education costs money; so does Ignorance"

If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!
If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!

0 Kudos
LAL Top Student
Top Student
7 4 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have had Malwarebytes and Hitman pro on the laptop for quite a while.  I just removed Defender and installed McAffee.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation