Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 13t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just got my brand new HP Spectre x360 13t yesterday. When I brought it to work it initially connected to the unsecured wifi at work to boot up no problem...then just 4 hours later, and now Consistently, it Refuses to connect to the Login Page required to connect to the wifi, and therefore the wifi won't work! I just keep getting the message "The Wi-Fi you are using may require you to visit its login page," and when I choose Connect it does Nothing!! Home wifi works fine, tethering to my smartphone using this very Work wifi  works too...but I am not interested in wasting my phone battery, and I have yet to test other public wifi locations where I am worried I will have the same problem.  The IT department here can find nothing wrong with their wifi - it is my New computer. 😞

My phone sitting right next to it, and Everyone else's computers and tablets are connecting and logging in Just Fine. I have looked for solutions on here, tried looking for driver updates, then uninstalling and reinstalling the network driver...I tried shutting off my Mcafee and firewall protection. I cannot figure this out, and my brand new very expensive Portable computer is already Useless except as a Home Desktop. Please HELP!!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@K8eeG

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Have you tried connecting different network or mobile hotspot?

The message your getting refers to the Wi-Fi router privacy limitation therefore you need to have credentials to login and access internet from this network.

Let's try this steps in order to isolate the connectivity issue:

• Turn your mobile hotspot on.
  • Open your laptop and go to Wi-Fi settings (in Windows 10 Wi-Fi settings shortcut is included in the right bottom corner.)
  • Choose your mobile hotspot name and click on connect.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

As far as I understood them, your instructions just had me connect to My cell phone as a mobile hotspot - exactly what I do Not want to do! I should not have to depend on tethering to my cell phone when I am supposed to be able to use the Wi-Fi Within my computer!  What I'm trying to do is connect to the public Wi-Fi hotspot, for which I am getting this error. It us at my work place, in an Airport, and I've spoken with the IT department about it. The error page I am getting should not even be appearing - it should be a quick Flash through as I am Automatically signed in to the Wi-Fi. There is no actual security sign in password, you just select sign in, it flashes past that website, and you will have a Wi-Fi connection! But for some reason every single browser when using my HP Spectre x360 13t gets hung up on that page!  I have not had the chance yet to try other public hotspots, but that shouldn't matter when the main one I intended to use this computer on is this one at my place of work. And this certainly doesn't bode well for when I get to travel again!

I tried changing the default browser to Microsoft Edge, Chrome, and even Internet Explorer, and I had the same results every time. Interestingly, Internet Explorer's error message states "Your PC doesn't trust this website's security certificate. The host name in the website's security certificate differs from the website you are trying to visit... Because this site uses HTTP strict transport security, you can't continue to this site at this time." But Why is there No way to Bypass this? It should be My choice if I want to continue! Out of desperation, I completely reset the computer to factory settings and started over, this time Not activating the McAfee trial or the Express VPN options, so there should be No security blocking this. What happened to the simple option of letting Me choose whether or not to trust a particular Wi-Fi location when I know it is safe? It is so incredibly Frustrating that I can't even use this computer for the purposes I got it!!

HP Recommended

@K8eeG

Looks like you are trying to connect to a public Wifi and you are facing issues connecting to it.

Is the computer connecting wirelessly to your home network?

If the computer is not connecting to an open public Wifi I recommend you check with the concerned Wifi provider and they will be able to assist you in this regard.

As you have mentioned that the computer is connecting to your phone's hotspot that confirms that the Wifi on our computer is working fine and the issue is with that particular wireless connection.

Let me know how it goes.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, the computer works Fine on my at home wifi, and connected to my Phone because it is also a Private, password connected wifi. As far as the computer is concerned, the phone connection is private. I have already spoken with IT for the public wifi at my work, it is Not a problem with their wifi - this can be seen by the fact that my Phone connects just fine, and Every other device around connects just fine!. It may not be a problem with the computer wifi driver per-se, but it IS some Unknown Security block in the computer, which is not from Mcaffee or Express VPN, and which I have been unable to alter or customize.

Note how I mentioned that the eroor message displayed by Internet Explorer states "Your PC doesn't trust this website's security certificate. The host name in the website's security certificate differs from the website you are trying to visit... Because this site uses HTTP strict transport security, you can't continue to this site at this time."   Whether or not the PC "dislikes" the connection, there is usually and Advanced option to Bypass this if I choose. Why is there NO such option to Customize?  I did not authorize nor request any such block on my computer which effectively makes Any public wifi Unallowed, and thus makes the compute Useless for the purpose of being a Portable device! I do Not want the computer to just Refuse all wifi connections! HOW do I Remove this Block!! Can Anyone actually Help me?? If No one else has had this problem with this computer, does that mean mine is Defective and I Already have to Return it? 

HP Recommended

@K8eeG

I recommend you contact support to further diagnose the issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.