Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv7 - 6165us
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Recently, after about a month of not using my laptop, I tried the other day to reconnect with the web. However I discovered that the only access was via ethernet. I did a troubleshoot, but still the same result. So I did a factory reset, hoping that this would solve the problem. When I finished reconfiguring the Windows 10 (which took another couple of hours), I again tried connecting via wifi, only to get the same outcome. I then went into the Device Manager, and checked for the wireless network adapter, only to find it missing. After checking support sites for both Windows 10, and HP, I've come up empty handed. I need help. Not sure but it may also require a wireless driver.

Here are my laptop specs ... I have an HP Pavilion dv7 - 6165us, with the latest version of Windows 10, with Firefox as browser. Does anyone know a site where I can download the wireless network adapter compatible with my system?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Wisdomwithage wrote:

..... So I did a factory reset, hoping that this would solve the problem. When I finished reconfiguring the Windows 10 (which took another couple of hours),...

@Wisdomwithage 

It came with Windows 7, not Windows 10, it is too old, no available specs

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-dv7-6100-entertainment-notebook-pc-series/5082216/m...

You definitely need a right driver for Windows 10. As I say above, we do NOT have its specs therefore you need to look at Device Manager to what is the wifi hardware - id. Please use following instructions to get missing hardware id's then post back:

http://www.wikihow.com/Find-Hardware-ID

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Maybe I should clarify further. My laptop came with Windows 7, which I upgraded to 8.1 2 years ago, and then to Windows 10 a year ago.  The wireless connection worked fine as recently as early March 2020 when I used it in the hotel we stayed at. Then 2 weeks ago, I tried to connect to our wifi, but I received the message that I had access only through Ethernet connection. The rest I have already explained in my original post.

The wikihow site you gave me I have already looked at.  How can I obtain the hardware ID for the wireless network adapter when no wifi network adapter exists in my Network Adapters folder??

HP Recommended

hello, had the same issue. After windows hard reset my wifi adapter disappeared from hardware manager. 

you can solve this in 2 ways: 

1. open the laptop , remove wifi adapter and plug in again.

2. drain your battery to complete 0. (this worked for me yesterday)

to do that use as many power on windows and than when it will close plug in power cable go to bios or diagnostic on boot and dissconect the power cable, wait for the laptop to switch off. (you can connect some cell phone to charge on laptop USB to speed up the process )

Hope this helps  🙂

HP Recommended

I went into Device Manager, but because their was no wifi network adapter under "network Adapters" I went into "Display Adapters".

There I found:

AMD Radeon 6600M and 6700M Series

AMD Radeon HD 6620G

Does this help?

HP Recommended

By open the laptop I meant to open the laptop with a screwdriver or just remove the battery for a while if you have that possibilty. The whole trick is to cut the power off to wifi adapter fore some time 

HP Recommended

I erred when i mentioned earlier that my System type is 32-bit.  Actually it is 64-bit OS, x64-based processor

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.