Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Tutor
Message 1 of 5 (1,172 Views)

No internet connection on Folio 13 laptop via Wifi but Wifi working fine on 2 other laptops

Product Name: Folio 13
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Although I am connected to our wireless network on the Folio 13, there is no internet connection. I can, however, connect to the internet via Wifi on two other household laptops, both of them HP, so I believe the problem is with the Folio itself. I can also connect to other computers on the network on the Folio, but something is preventing it from getting on the internet. I can only get the internet via hardwired ethernet connection on the Folio. I have tried the following fixes, multiple times, without success:

-Run the Windows troubleshooter for Internet/Network. It says the connection between your access point, router, or cable modem and the internet is broken. (But not on other wifi computers here--works fine.)

-Reboot/Reset the modem.

-Disable/Renable the wifi adapter (Intel Centrino Wireless N 1030)

-Update wifi adapter driver (it says driver is up to date)

-Uninstall/reinstall wifi adapter

-Remove Wifi Network from list of available networks; reboot, add this network back in

-Roll back all Windows updates from the past month

-Searched self-help forums for a possible solution

And yes, the wifi keyboard light is blue, not orange.

Can someone help please?

0 Kudos
PhD Student
Message 2 of 5 (1,161 Views)

Re: No internet connection on Folio 13 laptop via Wifi but Wifi working fine on 2 other laptops

Hi

A visual reference point...

Flow Chart Adapters.png

From your description the fault is either with an app or hardware issue.  But if you follow the paths you may actually find the correct resolution.

AAND I doubt I can can come up with anything new, but confirmation of the settings from your description, may help me to.

So as an administrator, in a Command Prompt window (or copy and paste the whole netfixer.bat) short version...

C:\WINDOWS\system32>getmac

Physical Address    Transport Name
=================== ============================================
48-E2-44-54-66-27   \Device\Tcpip_{F5FF31F1-C343-42B0-B6A9-BD17E49ED64C}
B0-5A-DA-DE-84-28   Media disconnected
48-E2-44-54-66-28   Media disconnected

1x Wi-FI, 1 x B/Tooth & 1 x Ethernet

----------------------------------------

C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh wlan show interfaces

There is 1 interface on the system:

Name                   : WiFi 2
    Description            : Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi Adapter
    GUID                   : f5ff31f1-c343-42b0-b6a9-bd17e49ed64c
    Physical address       : 48:e2:44:54:66:27
    State                  : connected
    SSID                   : XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    BSSID                  : 10:0d:7f:cf:2b:da
    Network type           : Infrastructure
    Radio type             : 802.11n
    Authentication         : WPA2-Personal
    Cipher                 : CCMP
    Connection mode        : Auto Connect
    Channel                : 11
    Receive rate (Mbps)    : 72
    Transmit rate (Mbps)   : 72
    Signal                 : 87%
    Profile                : XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

-----------------------------------------------------------

You can swap interfaces for drivers and settings, if you so choose.

-------------------------------------------------------------

:: NetFixer.bat, Copy, Paste & Save As...
:: Use a text editor (Notepad). Then edit
:: the file, EG-Remove the :: in front of
:: ::ipconfig -all >>IP.txt to make a txt
:: file called IP.txt to read thru later.
:: Run as Administrator for best outcome.
@ECHO THIS MAY HELP TO REPAIR / RECTIFY,
@ECHO VERY, SIMPLE NETWORK DIFFICULTIES.
@ECHO...................................
@ECHO THE RESULTS MAY VARY ACCORDING TO
@ECHO YOUR CONFIGURATION AND USER LEVEL.
@ECHO A RE-BOOT MUST BE DONE AFTER DOING
@ECHO SOME OF THE CHECKS OPTIONED BELOW.
@ECHO....................................
:MENU
@ECHO TYPE IN YOUR PREFERRED MENU CHOICE
@ECHO....................................
@ECHO.
@ECHO 0 - PING_LO Ping test to 127.0.0.1
@ECHO 1 - PING_MS Ping test to Microsoft
@ECHO 2 - GET_MAC Obtain MAC address(es)
@ECHO 3 - GET_IPs Lists all IP addresses
@ECHO 4 - IPvFOUR Reset to remove errors
@ECHO 5 - IP_RNEW Force/Renew IP address
@ECHO 6 - IPv_SIX Reset to remove errors
@ECHO 7 - NBTSTAT NETBIOS -Renew -Repair
@ECHO 8 - NETSTAT All Network Statistics
@ECHO 9 - SH_WLAN Display WLAN interface
@ECHO A - ARP_TAB Displays ARP IP tables
@ECHO B - NS_LKUP Shows your Name Server
@ECHO C - SYS_SUM System Summary Windows
@ECHO D - DNS_FIX Flush and Register DNS
@ECHO E - WINSOCK Reset to remove errors
@ECHO F - FINISHD Close this Command Box
@ECHO ...................................
@ECHO OFF
COLOR B1
SET /P M= Press 0-9, A-F, and then ENTER:
IF %M%==0 GOTO PING_LO
IF %M%==1 GOTO PING_MS
IF %M%==2 GOTO GET_MAC
IF %M%==3 GOTO GET_IPs
IF %M%==4 GOTO IPvFOUR
IF %M%==5 GOTO IP_RNEW
IF %M%==6 GOTO IPv_SIX
IF %M%==7 GOTO NBTSTAT
IF %M%==8 GOTO NETSTAT
IF %M%==9 GOTO SH_WLAN
IF /I %M%==A GOTO ARP_TAB
IF /I %M%==B GOTO NS_LKUP
IF /I %M%==C GOTO SYS_SUM
IF /I %M%==D GOTO DNS_FIX
IF /I %M%==E GOTO WINSOCK
IF /I %M%==F GOTO FINISHD
:PING_LO
ping LOOPBACK
GOTO MENU
:PING_MS
ping MICROSOFT.COM
GOTO MENU
:GET_MAC
getmac | more /c
:: getmac >> GetMac.txt
:: Notepad GetMac.txt
GOTO MENU
:GET_IPs
ipconfig -all | more /c
:: ipconfig -all >>IP.txt
:: Notepad IP.txt
GOTO MENU
:IPvFOUR
netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
GOTO MENU
:IP_RNEW
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
GOTO MENU
:IPv_SIX
netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log
GOTO MENU
:NBTSTAT
nbtstat -RR
GOTO MENU
:NETSTAT
netstat -e -r -s | more /c
:: netstat -e -r -s >> NetStat.txt
:: Notepad NetStat.txt
GOTO MENU
:SH_WLAN
netsh wlan show drivers | more /c
netsh wlan show interfaces | more /c
GOTO MENU
:ARP_TAB
arp /a
GOTO MENU
:NS_LKUP
nslookup /ns
GOTO MENU
:SYS_SUM
msinfo32
GOTO MENU
:DNS_FIX
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
GOTO MENU
:WINSOCK
netsh winsock reset catalog
GOTO MENU
:FINISHD
EXIT

It looks like this (some of which you have tried)...

netfixer.PNG

Tutor
Message 3 of 5 (1,155 Views)

Re: No internet connection on Folio 13 laptop via Wifi but Wifi working fine on 2 other laptops

Thank you for this detailed reply but I'm afraid you lost me at ":: NetFixer.bat, Copy, Paste & Save As...

Do I type that into Command Prompt? 

Student
Message 4 of 5 (1,042 Views)

Hello,

Did you ever resolve your issue?  I purchased a Folio 13 via Craigslist and did a full re-image of the whole operating system and then did an upgrade to Windows 10.   I encounter the exact same issue.  I have multiple Apple devices hooked to my wifi network and they are fine.  Also another new HP Elite Book with no issue.  But this Folio 13 will indicate connected to the network, and I can even print, but the internet signal will not work and I will get an error that indicates no internet.  I then disconnect that wifi network and reconnect and it usually comes on right away or within a minute or so. 

I have downloaded the HP detect software to confirm I have the right model and then downloaded/installed the driver.  Although the only driver is for Windows 10.  Has anyone else figured out this issue? 

Student
Message 5 of 5 (877 Views)

[ Edited ]

The Problem is related to the implementation of the > HP Connection  Manager - "Airplane Mode"

I have had this problem several times.

If you [use] the systray HP Connection tool, or any tool that "enables" Airplane mode (like your phones Airplane Mode)

You absolutely ( Must ) use that same tool to "disable" Airplane mode for the Centrino N-1030 built-in WiFi card.

Here is a YouTube of my Screen - Turning it Off and On

Note: I did not show it in the video, but the keyboard fn+F12 was turn on at all times, the white LED was lit at all times. If the keyboard WiFi key is pressed to turn it off.. that is a "different" kind of Off condition which shows up differently in the HP Connection manager. I just didn't show that in the quick video.

The updated HP driver package for the Folio13-2000 download page will include an "extra" Intel Connection manager which will override the old HP Connection Manager - and - does not have the ability to "properly" exit Airplane Mode, as enabled by the HP Connection Manager tool.

In fact it appears the old HP Connection manager tool download has been "Removed" from its support page.

I (guess) that's one way of dealing with Airplane Mode going forward, if you can't enable it you can't get "stuck" in it.

But it strands people with the old factory default image, or anyone exposed to the older tool.

And since its HP "branded" you feel like your doing the correct thing by using it.. then when you upgrade, or reimage, or happen to get a laptop that at one time "had" the old HP Connection manager tool on it.. and it got activated.. its a "brick" as far as WiFi goes.

I found an HP Connection manager download for a [different] iteration of the Folio13 line that is still downloadable, all you have to do is make sure the Intel Connection Manager is uninstalled, then make sure you "dig" through the C:\SWSetup directory to find the Intel "drivers" only directory and install that.. so the WiFi drivers are installed but not the Intel Connection Manager.

Here is a place you can still download the HP Connection Manager I used in the Video

Then download the HP Connection Manager and install that.

And here is the Super Tip!

Only the "SysTray" Icon has the "correct" EXIT "Airplane Mode" function.. the [main] opened HP Connection Manger "fakes" you out.. it looks like you can enable and disable it from in the Opened HP Connection Manager.. Nope!

It will enable disable Airplane Mode (only) for the Bluetooth function.. for some reason they [Left] this funciton out.

So CLOSE the HP Connection Manager Window - Look for the Round Blue and White Ball.. that looks like a ATT Deathstar..

Right-Click > on the SysTray Deathstar > Press the Power Button for the WiFi (Wireless LAN)

It should toggle to Wi-Fi [On] and the Power Ring will go "Blue" < and you can do this even if Airplane Mode is still on!

After its on, and you master this Airplane thing.. the Open HP Connection Window will manage it.. and Microsoft Windows will agree its working.

It looks to me like HP got some "insider" information about some chip registers in the WiFi Centrino N-1030 chip and kind of mishandled it writing the application.. then that didn't get shared with anyone else.. or Intel just wrote their tools differently.. and there you have it.

Its a really annoying thing.

I keep forgeting this demonstratable history.

People who throw Linux on it seem to have stumbled around it and some have a work-around.. but its the Airplane Mode problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation