Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 15-cw0994na

This is what usually happens. On start up no wi-fi option appears (bottom right of screen). Airplane mode shows and on/off works. Airplane button also works. No option to connect and no list of available networks.  Running trouble shooter shows no problems.  Ethernet connection works fine.

I have re-installed the network adapter driver twice but it hasn't helped. Virtual assistant cannot diagnose the problem because I can only use it when connected (ie the problem isn't happening).  

Logic tells me something in the laptop system is failing to recognise the network adapter.

Laptop is out of warranty but I have had this situation since purchase. It just caused me to keep using my old Toshiba!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Bellscats Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the Wifi option is not showing on the startup.

1. I have a few steps that will resolve your concern,  

2. Do a hard reset of the notebook to see if that gets the card to show up.   

Hard Reset:

1) Shutdown the computer.  

2) Unplug all the Adapter and peripherals connected.  

3) Remove the Battery. ( not for Built-in Battery computer ) 

4) Press and hold down the power button for 15 to 20 seconds.  

5) Plug-in the Adapter and put the Battery back into the computer if it's a (removable battery)

6) Try to turn on the computer and check

Reinstall the drivers from the HP website.  

If the issue persists, recover the original drivers from HP/Recovery manager.  

Initiate a system restore followed by a Recovery to resolve the issue.  

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Laptop now completely inoperative.

Battery isn't removable. Followed instructions (don't understand unplug adapter - it isn't separate from the machine?). Ethernet not plugged in. held down button as described. 

On trying to restart I get on-light showing and blank black screen. after about 15 secs the on-light goes out and there as a small click. After about 3 secs the on-light reappears and this simply repeats over and over. No variation of pressing the on-switch makes any difference to switching on. Long pressure will switch it off. But it still goes back to the same on/off repaet after that.

I had tried a hard reset via the Windows diagnostic tool previously. It worked as a temporary fix only.

If the battery was removable I would try that - but it isn't.

HP Recommended

@Bellscats

I understand your concerns.

Try updating the computer, this will install the latest updates -

Step 1 Windows Updates -

1) In the search box, type, and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Step 2 Install updates using HP Support Assistant

1. In the search box, type, and open HP Support Assistant. 
  2. Check for updates. 
  3. If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.  

Note: If you do not have HP Support Assistant installed, Click here to download the same.

Next, run the SFC scan. you can refer to this Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

If the issue still persists, please perform the system reset.

Windows 10 has a reset feature that repairs your computer by reinstalling the operating system. This feature is recommended for recovery because it reinstalls Windows 10 while either preserving your personal data and customizations or removing all your personal data.

You have a choice of two methods to reset your computer.

• If Windows 10 loads correctly, see the section titled Perform a Windows 10 system reset in Windows in this document.

• If Windows 10 does not start correctly, see the section titled Perform a Windows 10 system reset through Windows Recovery Environment in this document.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

No, you don't understand. Please, please  read my previous message again.

The laptop doesn't work.  I can't get past the blank, black screen. I can't do anything at all. This is since I followed your first set of instructions.

I can't reset by removing the battery on this model. .

I am contacting you on another machine.

HP Recommended

@Bellscats

Thank you for the update.

In that case, I would suggets you contact our phone support and check for the support option. Thye will help you.

Or you can contact our local service center for repair.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.